Located in a beautiful neighborhood near Lake Michigan and only minutes from downtown Milwaukee, UWM offers an ideal cultural environment for aspiring young musicians.With nearly 70 faculty members, the UWM Music Department offers you first-rate instruction by highly qualified professionals in all areas of music.
Awards may include
Graduate Project or Teaching Assistantships (full or partial awards available), Chancellor’s Fellowship Awards, Non-Resident Tuition Remission. Full Graduate Project and Teaching Assistantships carry full tuition waivers plus a stipend and benefits.
Please complete and submit the following prior to your audition:
- Application for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School
- Application for admission to the Music Department
You will be asked to submit a resume, a statement and three letters of recommendation.
Once you submit your application to the Music Department, you will receive a packet containing an application for your graduate assistantship, and if applicable, any additional application information or requirements.For those areas requiring an audition or portfolio submission, please refer to the Admission/Audition page for dates and forms.
Bassoon, Cello, Clarinet, Composition, Conducting, Double Bass, Ethnomusicology, Euphonium, Flute, Guitar, Harp, Horn, Oboe, Musicology, Music History & Literature, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Viola, Violin, Voice
- Performing in large and chamber ensembles
- Teaching private lessons and /or classes
- Studio and departmental responsibilities relevant to individual experience and abilities
- Assist with administration & operation of the five-choir UWM Choral program
- Supervise the UWM Gospel Choir
- Assist ensemble directors with sectionals
- Rehearsals of other UWM choral ensembles as assigned and other duties on a per-need basis
- Assist with all administrative aspects of a large university band/orchestra program
- Serve as assistant/cover conductor (Orchestral Conducting)
- Serve as principal conductor (Wind Conducting)
- Students receive frequent opportunities to conduct the Wind Ensemble, Symphony Band, and the Youth Wind Ensembles (Wind Conducting)