Middle School Honors Band Festival
November 21-23, 2014
School Band Directors:
The nomination period is September 22 - October 22, 2014
The high school honors band component has been moved to the inaugural MILWAUKEE MUSIC FESTIVAL, and will take place February 6-7, 2015.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Bands will host the 2014 UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 21 through November 23, 2014 on the UWM campus.
We believe that experiences like the UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival help young musicians grow and provide additional musical motivation in the early part of the academic year. Our festival provides the region’s top middle school instrumentalists an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music’s performance faculty, and they hear performances by UWM ensembles.
- Sept. 22: Directors are invited to begin nominating their finest students.
- October 17: Directors nominations close, selection process begins
- October 27: Selected students notified of their acceptance and on-line student pre-registration begins
- Monday, Nov. 10: Student pre-registration closes; alternate students notified as openings occur/are available
- Nov. 21-23, 2014: Festival weekend
There is a $75 fee for each student participating in the Middle School Honors Band Festival
General Festival ScheduleA more detailed schedule will be released later. A final festival schedule will be provided at the beginning of the festival weekend.
Friday, November 21, 2014
- 2:30-5:30pm – Registration (UWM Union-Concourse)
– Group Warm-up (UWM Union-Wisconsin Room)
- 3:00-5:30pm – Placement Auditions (UWM Union/Zelazo various rooms)
- 5:30-6:45pm – Dinner (on your own)
- 6:45pm – Audition Results posted at rehearsal sites (see below)
- 7:00-7:30pm – Seating of Ensembles at rehearsal sites
- 7:30-9:00pm – Rehearsal I
North Carolina Band Mr. Neal Underwood, conductor (UWM Union-Ballroom)
Arkansas Band Dr. Sarah Labovitz, conductor (Bader Hall)
Texas Band Dr. Anthony Purcell, conductor (Zelazo 280)
Saturday, November 22, 2014
- 8:30-10:45am – Rehearsal II (same location as Rehearsal I)
- 11:00-12:00pm – Concert Performance
UWM Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble
Required for all participants and open to parents. No tickets required.
- 12:00am-12:45pm – Lunch (on your own - on campus)
- 12:45pm-1:45pm – Rehearsal III
- 2:00pm – UWM Faculty Clinic Sessions
- 3:00pm-5:30pm – Rehearsal IV
- 5:30pm-7:00pm – Dinner (on your own)
- 7:00pm-9:00pm – Rehearsal V
Sunday, November 23, 2014
- 9:00am-11:00am – Rehearsal VI
- 11:00am-12:30pm – Lunch (on your own - change into concert attire)
- 12:00pm – Open Will Call ticket pick-up (Zelazo Room 280)
- 1:00pm – North Carolina Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage)
- 2:00pm – Arkansas Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage
- 3:00pm – Texas Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage)