Middle School Honors Band Festival
November 21-23, 2014
Nominations and registrations are currently closed. Please see the timeline below for important dates concerning nominations and registrations.
The high school honors band component has been moved to the inaugural MILWAUKEE MUSIC FESTIVAL, and will take place February 6-8, 2015.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Bands will host the 2014 UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 21 through November 23, 2014 on the UWM campus.
We believe that experiences like the UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival help young musicians grow and provide additional musical motivation in the early part of the academic year. Our festival provides the region’s top middle school instrumentalists an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music’s performance faculty, and they hear performances by UWM ensembles.
- Sept. 22: Directors are invited to begin nominating their finest students.
- October 17: Directors nominations close, selection process begins
- October 27: Selected students notified of their acceptance and on-line student pre-registration begins
- Monday, Nov. 10: Student pre-registration closes; alternate students notified as openings occur/are available
- Nov. 21-23, 2014: Festival weekend
General Festival ScheduleA more detailed schedule will be released later. A final festival schedule will be provided at the beginning of the festival weekend.
Friday, November 21, 2014
- 3:00pm – On-site check-in begins (UWM Union)
- 3:30pm – Warm-up spaces available; Auditions begin (UWM Union)
- 5:30pm – Auditions conclude; Dinner (on your own)
- 6:45pm – Audition results posted at On-site check-in area (UWM Union)
- 7:00pm – Seating of ensembles
- 7:30pm – Reading rehearsals
- 9:00pm – End of rehearsals; Dismissal
Saturday, November 22, 2014
- 9:00-10:15am – Rehearsal #2 (breaks provided at the conductor’s discretion)
- 10:30-11:15am – Master Class sessions with UWM Performance Faculty/Staff
- 11:15am-12:30pm – Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30pm-1:45pm – Rehearsal #3 (breaks provided at the conductor’s discretion)
- 2:00pm-2:45pm – Rehearsal #4 (breaks provided at the conductor’s discretion)
- 3:00pm-4:15pm – UWM Symphony Band & Jazz Ensemble performances (Bader Hall)
- 4:30pm-6:00pm – Dinner break (on your own)
- 6:00pm-7:00pm – Rehearsal #5
- 7:15pm-8:00pm – Rehearsal #6
- 8:00pm – Dismissal
Sunday, November 23, 2014
- Eat breakfast & lunch before you arrive to UWM on Sunday!
- Come dressed and ready for the concert!
- 12:00pm – *Band #1 arrives to Zelazo Center (Rehearsal #7)
- 1:00pm – Band #1 Break, prepare for Concert
- 1:30pm – Band #1 Concert (Bader Hall); Band #2 arrives to Zelazo Center (Rehearsal #7)
- 2:15pm – Band #1 Concert concludes, students are immediately dismissed
- 2:30pm – *Band #2 Break, prepare for Concert
- 3:00pm – Band #2 Concert (Bader Hall); Band #3 arrives to Zelazo Center (Rehearsal #7)
- 3:45pm – Band #2 Concert concludes, students are immediately dismissed
- 4:00pm – *Band #3 Break, prepare for Concert
- 4:30pm – Band #3 Concert (Bader Hall)
- 5:15pm – Band #3 Concert concludes, students are immediately dismissed
- *Students are randomly assigned to each of the three festival honor bands (Band #1, #2, #3). Band assignment information will be included in the packet mailed to accepted students at the end of October.