48th Annual Middle School
Honors Band Festival
Thank you to all those who registered this year! Registration has currently closed. For questions or further information regarding the festival please contact Mark Norman at firstname.lastname@example.org
November 20-22, 2015
We believe that experiences like the UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival help young musicians grow and provide additional musical motivation in the early part of the academic year. Our festival provides the region’s top middle school instrumentalists an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music’s performance faculty, and they hear performances by UWM ensembles.
- September 21 – October 15: Director Nominations Open via www.arts.uwm.edu/honorsband
- October 23: Selected students, alternates and directors will be announced and sent registration details
- October 23 – November 15: Registration period for festival participants
- November 20: Check-in begins at 4:30 PM / 1st Rehearsals at 6 PM (Details to be sent to registered students and directors after October 23)
- November 21: Rehearsals and guest concerts from 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM
- November 22: Final Rehearsals on a staggered schedule depending on band performance time (details to members of each band during registration process) Concert Times:
|1:00PM||Michigan Middle School Honors Band|
|2:00PM||Oklahoma Middle School Honors Band|
|3:00PM||Ohio Middle School Honors Band|
|4:00PM||Wisconsin Middle School Honors Band|
$75.00 per student (due at time of registration after the nomination process)
New Seating Process
Due to complications in the new University of Wisconsin system regulations of minors on campus, the seating process will be determined by the “Playing Ability” assessment done by the nominating directors during the nomination process. Some seating changes may be made at the clinician’s discretion during the event.
Festival Music: All festival music will be furnished by UWM Bands. Music folders for our festival are provided by Brass Bell Music in Whitefish Bay, and emergency repair in the UWM Union (during the Friday auditions) are compliments of Melk Music in West Allis, WI.
Rehearsal items: Students must provide their own instruments, pencils, and FOLDING MUSIC STAND for all festival activities. (Please label all personal belongings.)
Special Instrumental Needs:
- Flute Students: Should bring a piccolo if you have access to one and want to be considered for piccolo parts. Bring the piccolo to your Friday audition and be prepared to play a scale or short etude for the judge.
- Brass Students: Trumpet and trombone students should bring straight mutes. Other mutes may be requested during the course of the weekend.
- Percussion Students: Are required to bring a pair of general-purpose snare sticks, keyboard mallets, and timpani mallets.
Concert Performance Attire:
Professional attire is required for concert performances. Please wear all black performance attire, or a white top/black bottom combination. Our suggestions:
- Gentlemen: Please wear a buttoned dress shirt with a tie, (suit coat or sports coat is optional), black dress or dark chino-style pants, dark (black) socks, and black dress shoes (no sneakers or athletic shoes of any kind).
- Ladies: Please wear long sleeves, modest necklines, and skirts/dresses that are “tea-length” or to the floor (no hem-lines above the calf), with dark dress shoes and socks/hosiery. Dress pants/pant-suits are acceptable.
- Casual (appropriate for school) clothing is appropriate for festival rehearsals and other activities.
You are encouraged to use metered street parking, the university parking structures, or other university lots. All University parking venues are free for the Sunday performances. Additional information is available at www.uwm.edu/trans/. Participants and patrons are responsible for following all posted parking regulations. Students are responsible for arranging prompt pick-up and drop-off plans with their parents and/or travelling party.
Registration and Ticketing
ONLY REGISTER ONCE SELECTION IS CONFIRMED AFTER OCT. 23. ALL UWM HONORS BAND TICKETING QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE PECK SCHOOL OF THE ARTS BOX OFFICE (414-229-4308).
The Box Office’s business hours are Tuesday through Friday; 11am – 5:30pm. The Box Office can be reached at (414)229-4308 during business hours. Our website is; arts.uwm.edu/tickets. The Box Office accepts payments in person, online or over the phone. We accept Visa and Mastercard. There is a $4.00 fee for transactions over the phone or online. Tickets purchased through these options will be available at the Will Call table the day of the performance.
All registration must be done online. We only accept payments, the Box Office does not complete registration. If a school is paying for registration, they must call and confirm that a check is being sent (check number if possible, or pcard) by at least, the start date of the event weekend.
Meals: There are limited Student Union dining facilities that will be open during the festival, but are open to the public. Other restaurants are adjacent to campus, within a four-block walk. Please note: Participants will not be accompanied by Festival staff to/from meals. Students and parents are free to make any arrangements necessary for meals. See the Honors Band website for more information (arts.uwm.edu/honorsband) and local recommendations.
Lodging: For students traveling further than 60 miles from Milwaukee, we recommend finding overnight accommodations. To assist you in this, we have listed a few hotel options in the near vicinity of the University. See the Honors Band website for more information (arts.uwm.edu/honorsband).
Emergencies: There will always be office staff at 414-229-5641 during the festival schedule, should any emergency arise. UWM Police Non-Emergency line: 414-229-4627.
FINAL CONCERT PERFORMANCES – SUNDAY, NOV. 22, 2015
- ALL PATRONS SHOULD WAIT IN THE CONCERT WAITING AREA, ZELAZO-ROOM 280 prior to each concert performance. Please enter the Zelazo Center on the WEST side of the building (special needs access on the South side of the building). This area will be open and available for waiting concert patrons, beginning at 12:00 noon.
- Patrons needing to pick-up concert tickets may also find the temporary Box Office “Will Call” area in Zelazo-Room 280. This area will open at 12:00 noon.
- Each Middle School honor band will be ticketed on and perform on its own separate concert. Because of this, the concert hall will need to be cleared after each middle school performance. Please invite family, friends, directors, etc. to enjoy this special concert with you!
- Patrons who are attending multiple performances should leave the concert hall, and re-enter with the other patrons waiting for the next performance.
- Please plan to meet your middle school student outside of the Zelazo building immediately after their concert performance. Students are dismissed from Festival activities upon completing their concert performance.