Honors Band Festival
November 22-24, 2013
Nominations and registrations are closed and registrations for Honors Band will open on October 28,2013.
Letter to Directors
Honors Band Director/Nomination Information
2013 Directors Info
2013 UWM Honors Band Preliminary Calendar
If you have any questions, please contact the UWM Bands office at email@example.com or (414) 229-5641.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Bands will host the 47th Annual UWM Honors Band Festival on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 22 through November 24, 2013 on the UWM campus. The Festival takes place in the Helene Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts and in the Music Building of the Arts Center, just west of beautiful Lake Michigan. The festival serves about 600 students in two concurrent programs: one for high school (grades 9-12) and the other for middle school (grades 6-8).
We believe that experiences like the UWM Honors Band Festival help young musicians grow and provide some additional motivation in the early part of the academic year. The festival provides the region's top middle and high school students with an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music's performance faculty and they have the opportunity to hear performances by many UWM ensembles.
Directors, we hope that you will consider nominating your finest students to join us for the festival. Nominations will be accepted until October 18, 2013.
We also hope you will consider registering for the special Friday, Nov. 22 workshop, “School Bands in the 21st Century.”
Parents & Students
Students are nominated for the UWM Honors Band Festival through their school band teachers. To have your child involved, make sure your child's director knows of their interest in the UWM Honors Band Festival! Students who are nominated by their school band director and accepted by the festival selection committee will be notified of their acceptance around October 28, 2013. With their acceptance information, students will receive instructions for accepting the invitation, registering online for the festival, and complete fee information. Student registrations must be received by November 18, 2013.
Tickets for the final festival performances on Sunday, November 24, 2013 will be available for purchase at the time of registration, using the online system. For more information about TICKETS, please contact the Peck School of the Arts box Office, 414-229-4308. The UWM Bands and Festival staffs do not handle ticketing issues directly.
Choose from the following below:
Nominate Your Students - FOR DIRECTORS ONLY
Map & Directions
Items to Prepare for your Audition
Honor Band Conductors
Students who are nominated by their school band teacher and accepted by the festival will be mailed an acceptance packet around October 28, 2013. The mailing will include instructions for registering through the online system and all fee information. Registrations must be received by November 15, 2013, and should be completed online (www.arts.uwm.edu/honorsband) or by telephone (414-229-4308). Registration fee is $70 per student ($66 festival fee + $4 non-refundable service charge), and includes all expenses related to music, instruction, facilities, and concert performances for the student-participant. Students/parents/directors are responsible for the planning and cost of all local transportation needs, meals and lodging/housing.
All students who participate in the festival will play a short audition upon their arrival to determine their ensemble and/or chair placement.
Middle School Woodwind & Brass requirements:
Prepare major scales in (your instrument's) keys of C, F, B-flat, G, and D. Not all scales will be performed at the audition, but students should prepare all 5 keys. Students should perform as many octaves as is possible for their own capabilities. Prepare a portion of an etude or solo of a Wisconsin State Music Association (at least Class-B or Class-C) solo totaling no more than 3-4 minutes. Make sure your choice includes contrasting musical elements.
High School Students
The High School level (grades 9-12) UWM Honors Band Audition will determine the student's placement into the Honors Wind Symphony (all top auditions) or the Honors Symphony Band, and the student's chair ranking within that assigned ensemble.
High school students will be scheduled for individual UWM Honors Band audition appointment times. We attempt to schedule students who are located closest to the UW-Milwaukee campus in the earlier times. Please do your best to honor your audition appointment time, which can be found on the personal "Student Pre-Registration Information" slip mailed in your acceptance packet.
High School Woodwind & Brass audition requirements
- Arrive to the Zelazo Center (2419 E. Kenwood Blvd), and register with the on-site registration table at least 20 minutes before your scheduled audition appointment time.
- After completing the on-site registration process, you may proceed to the common warm-up area for all instruments. Report to your audition room a few minutes ahead of your audition appointment time, and perform your audition.
- The audition should only last about 6-7 minutes, and will be evaluated by UWM performance faculty and/or staff.
- You should prepare:
- Major scales (in your instrument's key of C, F, B-flat, G, & D ) for your personal range, or the common practical range of your instrument. Perform multiple octaves all at once. Major scales should be performed in all quarter notes (MM=100). Tongued notes ascending, slurred descending. Of the 5 major scales, you will probably be asked to only perform 2 or 3.
- Chromatic scale for your personal range, or the common practical range of your instrument. Slurred quarter notes (MM=120), both ascending and descending.
- Excerpts from the pdf files posted below should be prepared. While you may not perform all of this material in your audition, it should all be prepared.
- Once your audition is done, you are free through the dinner time (5:30-6:45pm). Audition results will be posted by 7:00 pm in the Bader Hall lobby, and the seating of the ensembles will begin in Bader Concert Hall (Honors Wind Symphony) and Rehearsal Room 280 (Honors Symphonic Band) soon thereafter.
- Have fun and GOOD LUCK! We are glad to host you this weekend!
High school audition excerpts
- Alto Saxophone
- Baritone B.C.
- Baritone Saxophone
- Baritone T.C.
- Bass Clarinet
- French Horn
- Tenor Saxophone
Please consider registering for the special Friday, Nov. 22 workshop, “School Bands in the 21st Century.” The workshop is hosted by Dr. John Climer (UWM Director of Bands), Mark Camphouse (our featured guest conductor), Steve Sveum (Sun Prairie High School), and other Music Education specialists from the UW-Milwaukee Department of Music. The workshop may be taken for credit. More details are included on the flyer in this same mailing.
We invite you to all UWM Honors Band Festival activities. During the weekend, you are welcomed to observe rehearsals, attend the faculty master class sessions, and hear the concerts by the university ensembles, as well as the final festival performances by your students. All UWM Bands/Youth Wind Ensembles (UWAY) concerts are free to band directors; simply call the UWM PSOA Box Office (414-229-4308) in advance to reserve your free tickets!
SCHEDULE CHANGE: The UWM Honors Band Festival schedule now accommodates band programs that traditionally march in the Downtown Milwaukee Holiday Parade. For high school students who need to be with their school marching band in the parade, we can excuse them from the Saturday morning festival activities. We hope this accommodation will allow more students to take part in our festival!
Students/parents/directors are responsible for the planning and cost of all local transportation needs, meals and lodging/housing.
Housing can be arranged at local Milwaukee hotels and motels for students who live outside of reasonable commuting distance.
You are encouraged to use metered street parking or the underground parking garage at the UWM Union. All parking venues are free on Sundays for the performances.
Various dining options are available in the UWM Student Union. A wide variety of restaurants are within four-block radius of campus. Participating students will not be accompanied by Festival staff to and from meals.
All music will be furnished by the UWM Band Department. Students must provide their own pencils, folding music stand, and all other necessary equipment for rehearsals.
All of the festival concerts will take place in the Bader Concert Hall of the Helene Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (2419 E. Kenwood Blvd., Milwaukee). All seats at all festival concerts are general admission. Tickets may be ordered at the time of registration, or by contacting the Peck School of the Arts box office at (414) 229-4308.
Each middle school ensemble will perform a separate concert on Sunday, November 24, 2013 starting at 1:00 pm. Watch the festival schedule for exact final performance times. The high school concert will begin at 4:00 pm on Sunday, November 24, 2013, and the 4:00 pm program includes a performance by the UWM Wind Ensemble.
All final festival concerts will be recorded. A CD for the high school performances and another CD for the middle school performances will be available for purchase online at the time of registration. Students may purchase CDs in advance for $15 per CD; if ordered on the day of the performance, the cost will be $20 per CD.
Mark Camphouse (George Mason University), High School Honors Wind Ensemble
Warren Olfert (North Dakota State University), High School Honors Symphony Band
Mary Land (Young Harris College), “Georgia” Middle School Honors Band
Patricia Menninga (Illiana Christian High School) “Illinois” Middle School Honors Band
John Woger (Menomonee Falls High School), “Wisconsin” Middle School Honors Band
JOHN CLIMER – Professor of Music and Director of Bands; Conductor, UWM Wind Ensemble; Music Advisor, UWM Youth Music Ensemble program
SCOTT CORLEY - Senior Lecturer in Music and Assistant Director of Bands; Music Director, UWM Youth Wind Ensembles; Conductor, UWM Symphony Band
The updated and final festival schedule will be included in the acceptance materials for each accepted student. This is the general outline of our festival activities. Students are required to attend all festival activities. (High School students with band programs participating in Milwaukee's Annual Holiday Parade are excused from the Saturday morning activities; please make these arrangements with the UWM Honors Band Festival in advance.)
Friday, November 22, 2013
- 2:45 pm - 5:15 pm: High School Placement Auditions
- 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Middle School Placement Auditions
- 5:15 pm - 6:45 pm: Dinner Break
- 7:00 pm: Audition Results Posted/Seating of Ensembles
- 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm: Rehearsal I
Saturday, November 23, 2013
- 8:30 am - 9:15 am: Middle School Master Classes by UWM Faculty/Staff
- 9:30 am - 11:30 am: Middle School Rehearsal II
- 9:30 am - 10:15 am: High School Master Classes by UWM Faculty/Staff (High School students participating in the Annual Milwaukee Holiday Parade with their school band programs are excused from Saturday morning activities.)
- 10:30 am - 11:30 am: High School Rehearsal II
- 11:30 pm - 12:30 pm: Lunch Break
- 12:30 pm - 1:45 pm: Rehearsal III
- 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm: CONCERT: UWM Symphony Band & Jazz Ensemble
- 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm: Rehearsal IV
- 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm: Dinner Break
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Rehearsal V
Sunday, November 24, 2013
- 9:00 am - 11:00 am: Rehearsal VI
- 11:00 am - 12:30 pm: Lunch/Break until performances begin
- 1:00 pm: Middle School Groups begin performances
- 4:00 pm: UWM Wind Ensemble Performance & High School Honors Bands
- 6:00 pm: Festival Concludes