Middle School Honors Band Festival
November 21-23, 2014
Nominations and registrations are currently closed. Please see the timeline below for important dates concerning nominations and registrations.
The high school honors band component has been moved to the inaugural MILWAUKEE MUSIC FESTIVAL, and will take place February 6-7, 2015.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Bands will host the 2014 UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 21 through November 23, 2014 on the UWM campus.
We believe that experiences like the UWM Middle School Honors Band Festival help young musicians grow and provide additional musical motivation in the early part of the academic year. Our festival provides the region’s top middle school instrumentalists an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music’s performance faculty, and they hear performances by UWM ensembles.
- Sept. 22: Directors are invited to begin nominating their finest students.
- October 17: Directors nominations close, selection process begins
- October 27: Selected students notified of their acceptance and on-line student pre-registration begins
- Monday, Nov. 15: Student pre-registration closes; alternate students notified as openings occur/are available
- Nov. 21-23, 2014: Festival weekend
Be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales in (your instrument's) keys of C, F, B-flat, G, and D. Not all scales will be performed at the audition, but students should prepare all 5 keys. Students should perform as many octaves as is possible for their own capabilities.
- A portion of a solo/étude that best represents your abilities and musicality totaling no more than 2-3 minutes. Make sure your chosen selection includes contrasting musical elements. (It may certainly be a solo you have previously performed!)
- Using the above, the audition judge(s) will evaluate your tone quality, intonation, technique, overall musicianship and personal demeanor. Do your best – project confidence in your abilities!
Special Instrument Needs
- Flute Students: Should bring a piccolo if you have access to one and want to be considered for piccolo parts. Bring the piccolo to your Friday audition and be prepared to play a scale or short etude for the judge.
- Brass Students: Trumpet and trombone students should bring straight mutes. Other mutes may be requested during the course of the weekend.
- Percussion Students: Are required to bring a pair of general-purpose snare sticks, keyboard mallets, and timpani mallets.
There is a $75 fee for each student participating in the Middle School Honors Band Festival
Friday, November 21, 2014
- 2:30-5:30pm – Registration (UWM Union-Concourse)
– Group Warm-up (UWM Union-Wisconsin Room)
- 3:00-5:30pm – Placement Auditions (UWM Union/Zelazo various rooms)
- 5:30-6:45pm – Dinner (on your own)
- 6:45pm – Audition Results posted at rehearsal sites (see below)
- 7:00-7:30pm – Seating of Ensembles at rehearsal sites
- 7:30-9:00pm – Rehearsal I
North Carolina Band Mr. Neil Underwood, conductor (UWM Union-Ballroom)
Arkansas Band Dr. Sarah Labovitz, conductor (Bader Hall)
Texas Band Dr. Anthony Pursell, conductor (Zelazo 280)
The Wisconsin Band Mr. Chris Gleason, conductor
Saturday, November 22, 2014
- 8:30am – Rehearsals begin
- 11:00am – Concert featuring the UW-M Chamber Winds and Jazz Band in Bader Hall
(Festival participants must attend; parents and directors may attend at no cost)
- 12:00pm – Lunch in Union
- 12:45pm-6:00pm – Rehearsals, Master Classes, Ice Cream Social
(Note: the day's events now end at 6 PM)
Sunday, November 23, 2014
- 9:00am-11:00am – Rehearsal VI
- 11:00am-12:30pm – Lunch (on your own - change into concert attire)
- 12:00pm – Open Will Call ticket pick-up (Zelazo Room 280)
- 1:00pm – North Carolina Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage)
- 2:00pm – Arkansas Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage
- 3:00pm – Texas Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage)
- 4:00pm – Wisconsin Band Concert (Zelazo Bader Stage)
Meals: There are limited Student Union dining facilities that will be open during the festival, but are open to the public. Other restaurants are adjacent to campus, within a four-block walk. Please note: Participants will not be accompanied by Festival staff to/from meals. Students and parents are free to make any arrangements necessary for meals. See the Honors Band website for more information (arts.uwm.edu/honorsband) and local recommendations.
Lodging: For students traveling further than 60 miles from Milwaukee, we recommend finding overnight accommodations. To assist you in this, we have listed a few hotel options in the near vicinity of the University. See the Honors Band website for more information (arts.uwm.edu/honorsband).
Professional attire is required for concert performances. Please wear all black performance attire, or a white top/black bottom combination. Our suggestions:
- Gentlemen—Please wear a buttoned dress shirt with a tie, (suit coat or sports coat is optional), black dress or dark chino-style pants, dark (black) socks, and black dress shoes (no sneakers or athletic shoes of any kind).
- Ladies—Please wear long sleeves, modest necklines, and skirts/dresses that are “tea-length” or to the floor (no hem-lines above the calf), with dark dress shoes and socks/hosiery. Dress pants/pant-suits are acceptable.
- Casual (appropriate for school) clothing is appropriate for festival rehearsals and other activities.
All festival music will be furnished by UWM Bands. Music folders for our festival are provided byBrass Bell Music in Whitefish Bay, and emergency repair in the UWM Union (during the Friday auditions) are compliments of Melk Music in West Allis, WI.
Students must provide their own instruments, pencils, and FOLDING MUSIC STANDfor all festival activities. (Please label all personal belongings.)
You are encouraged to use metered street parking, the university parking structures, or other university lots. All University parking venues are free for the Sunday performances. Additional information is available at www.uwm.edu/trans/. Participants and patrons are responsible for following all posted parking regulations. Students are responsible for arranging prompt pick-up and drop-off plans with their parents and/or travelling party.
There will always be office staff at 414-229-5641 during the festival schedule, should any emergency arise. UWM Police Non-Emergency line: 414-229-4627.
Final Concerts - Sunday, Nov. 23, 2014
- ALL PATRONS SHOULD WAIT IN THE CONCERT WAITING AREA, ZELAZO-ROOM 280 priorto each concert performance. Please enter the Zelazo Center on the WEST side of the building (special needs access on the South side of the building). This area will be open and available for waiting concert patrons, beginning at 12:00 noon.
- Patrons needing to pick-up concert tickets may also find the temporary Box Office “Will Call” area in Zelazo-Room 280. This area will open at 12:00 noon.
- Each Middle School honor band will be ticketed on and perform on its own separate concert. Because of this, the concert hall will need to be cleared after each middle school performance. Please invite family, friends, directors, etc. to enjoy this special concert with you!
- Patrons who are attending multiple performances should leave the concert hall, and re-enter with the other patrons waiting for the next performance.
- Please plan to meet your middle school student outside of the Zelazo building mmediately after their concert performance. Students are dismissed from Festival activities upon completing their concert performance.
ALL UWM HONORS BAND TICKETING QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE PECK SCHOOL OF THE ARTS BOX OFFICE (414-229-4308).
- General admission tickets are required for all Sunday Honors Band performances.
- Concert tickets may be purchased at the time of the student on-line pre-registration process. If you prefer to purchase tickets or complete the student pre-registration process by telephone, please call the PSOA Box Office (414-229-4308).
- If your family has students participating in more than one honors band group, or if you wish to attend more than one performance, please DO NOT purchase tickets through the on-line student registration system. Complete the student pre-registration process online, and then call the PSOA Box Office (414-229-4308) for your ticket arrangements. A special discount for attending multiple performances will apply.
- UWM Honors Band tickets purchased by Nov. 12, 2014 will be mailed. Ticket orders received later than Nov. 12 will be held at our ‘Will Call’ table for pick-up on the day of the final concerts.
- Honors Band Student-participants that wish to observe a concert (after their own performance is over) may attend the concert for free.
- Tickets are not issued for the Saturday afternoon (2:00pm) concert – this performance is free and open to UWM Honors Band Festival participants, their parents, and their band directors.
- The Peck School of the Arts Box Office will be open on Friday, Nov. 21 (11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.) to take care of any last-minute registration fees and/or ticket purchases. The Box Office will open again at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, Nov. 24, 2013 (the day of the final concerts).