Youth Music Ensembles
UWAY Fall (Chair Placement) Auditions – Sunday, August 25, 2013
Students who have been previously accepted to the UWAY program must perform a chair placement audition on Sunday, August 25. Click your instrument for a file of information and musical excerpts to perform.
Oboe (The tempo of etude #2 should be quarter note=40.)
Percussion (a 6th etude, Timpani #2, will be posted separately)
UWAY Spring 2013 Auditions
Youth Wind Ensembles Spring 2013 Calendar
Teacher Recommendation/Nomination Information
UWAY Spring Auditions brochure
UWAY Spring 2013 Auditions - Percussion Requirements: Be prepared to perform a 4-5 minute étude on Snare (required) and 4-5 minute étude on Timpani -or- Keyboard/Mallets
Who We Are
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Youth Music Ensembles program is an out-reach program of the Peck School of the Arts Department of Music. Founded in 1982 as the Greater Milwaukee Youth Wind Ensemble, Professor Emeritus Thomas Dvorak founded the program with one youth wind ensemble. Since then, the UWM Youth Music Ensembles have become nationally and internationally accomplished, has included offerings in wind ensembles, jazz ensembles, chamber music, and percussion. The program is recognized as an integral co-curricular component of the Peck School of the Arts, and UWAY/UJAY participants have the opportunity to work with UWM Music Faculty and Staff, and gain the invaluable experience of furthering their musicianship by performing in a university setting. The Youth Music Ensembles program is sponsored by the UWM Department of Music and University Bands, and works in cooperation with Wisconsin high school music programs. It currently includes Youth Wind Ensembles, Youth Chamber Winds and Youth Jazz Ensembles.top
The UWM Youth Music Ensembles program is designed to supplement the fine instruction students receive from their school music programs and private music instructors by providing them with musical experiences that include: performing symphonic and chamber wind-band or jazz big-band and combo repertoire with their student peers from all over Southeastern Wisconsin, being led and inspired by the creative artist-faculty, and working closely with other musical members of the University community.top
National Board of AdvisorsDr. Gary Ciepluch (Cleveland Institute/Case Western Reserve Univ.)
Dr. John Climer (Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
Prof. Thomas Dvorak (UWM Youth Music Founder/Prof. Emeritus, UWM)
Prof. Michael Haithcock (Univ. of Michigan)
Dr. Gary Hill (Arizona State Univ.)
Dr. Charles Meghini (VanderCook Univ.)
Dr. Scott Stewart (Emory Univ.)
UWAY Board of DirectorsClayton Wachholz, Cedarburg High School
Tom Reifenberg, Greendale High School
Jacob Polancich, Hartland Arrowhead High School
John Woger, Menomonee Falls High School
Sharie Garcia, Milwaukee High School of the Arts
Jennifer Climer, Muskego High School
Amy Fuchs, Oak Creek High School
Jon Waite, Sussex Hamilton High School
Kristi Wicihowski, West Allis Nathan Hale High School
Students may be a part of the Youth MUSIC Ensembles upon being recommended (nominated) by their high school music/bands teacher(s), by a private music teacher on their instrument, or by qualifying through the annual Spring (May) auditions. Members of the UWM Youth MUSIC Ensembles must also be enrolled in and remain active with some aspect of their school’s music program.
- The Youth Wind Ensembles (UWAY 1/Chamber Winds and UWAY 2) are open to students entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2013
- The Youth Jazz Ensembles are open to students entering grades 6-12 in fall 2012. To remain eligible and in good standing, students must attend all regular (weekly) rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances of their assigned ensemble(s).
How To Join/Auditions
UWAY Fall (Chair Placement) Auditions
- Students who are accepted to UWAY through the Spring Auditions will receive an acceptance packet over the summer. Completed forms and fee payments are due July 1.
- A second Fall (Chair Placement) Audition is required of all UWAY participants. The date of the Fall Audition is Sunday, August 25, 2013.
The UWAY Spring Auditions are open to any high school woodwind, brass, or percussion student (including rising 8th graders). The Spring Audition is gain admission to the UWAY program, and to designate your ensemble assignment(s) if accepted. For audition information related to UJAY (Youth Jazz Ensembles), contact that office at 414-229-2451 or 262-498-7127.UWAY Spring Audition Dates – Students may choose ANY of the following dates/locations for their UWAY Spring Audition. Please call the UWAY office to schedule your personal 10-minute audition appointment. We will begin accepting audition appointments on April 1, 2013. Please call 414-229-5641 to make an audition appointment.
- Tuesday, April 30, UWM’s Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (5:00-8:00pm) – use the south side/1st floor entrance
- Wednesday, May 1, Oak Creek HS Band Room (4-6pm) – use Door #18 on the north-east side of the facility; Report to Room 259
- Wednesday, May 1, Wauwatosa East HS (4-6pm) - use N.74th Street (one-way street) entrance and look for signs to Room 132
- Thursday, May 2, West Allis Nathan Hale HS Band Room (3:30-5:30pm) – use the Commons Area doors on the west side of the facility
- Thursday, May 2, UWM’s Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (4:30-7:00pm) – use the south side/1st floor entrance
- Monday, May 6, Muskego HS Band Room (4-6pm) – use “Door #25” for entry
- Tuesday, May 7, Sussex Hamilton HS Band Room (3:30-5:30pm) – Use FAC-3 or Cafeteria entrances.
- Thursday, May 9, Menomonee Falls HS Band Room (3:30-5:30pm) – use Door 2A for entry
- Be prepared to perform major scales in your instrument’s key of C, F, B-flat, G, and D. Articulation patterns, tempo, and multiple octaves are at the student’s discretion. (All scales may not be performed on the audition – at the judge’s discretion.)
- A chromatic scale (ascending and descending) of at least two (2) octaves. Articulation pattern and tempo are at the student’s discretion.
- A selected etude, solo, or concerto of the student’s choosing that demonstrates diverse performance capabilities (soft/loud, fast/slow, technical/lyrical, etc.). This can be something previously prepared for solo/ensemble festival. Please prepare approximately 4-5 minutes of music for this portion of your UWAY Spring Audition.
- Percussion Students: Be prepared to perform a 4-5 minute étude on Snare (required) and 4-5 minute étude on Timpani -or- Keyboard/Mallets
- UWAY 1/Chamber Winds and UWAY 2 all hold simultaneous weekly rehearsals on TUESDAY NIGHTS (6:30-9:00 p.m.) at UWM’s Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (2419 E. Kenwood Blvd.)
- UJAY 1/UJAY 2 hold weekly rehearsals on THURSDAY afternoons/evenings at the UWM Music Building (3223 N. Downer Ave). Specific rehearsal times will be announced later.
Students who are accepted to the program will receive an Invitation Packet in late May/early June. Students must accept the invitation by submitting the fee (or portion of the fee) by July 1.
- First-year UWAY or UJAY students: $400
- Returning UWAY or UJAY students: $350
- Students who participate in BOTH UWAY and UJAY: $300 per program ($600 total)
- Students who participate in UWAY and MYSO (acceptance documentation required): $335 per program (SEPARATE payments of $335 to UWAY and MYSO offices, respectively.)
- Additional scholarships (fee reductions) are available. Information about qualifying for financial assistance is made available to students who are accepted through the Spring audition process. Please contact Prof. Corley directly for more information.
2013-14 Concert Dates
Sunday, October 20, 2013 (3:00pm)
Sunday, December 15, 2013 (3:00pm)
Sunday, March 2, 2014 (3:00pm)
Sunday, May 11, 2014 (3:00pm)