UWAY Fall (Chair Placement) Auditions – Sunday, August 25, 2013
Students who have been previously accepted to the UWAY program must perform a chair placement audition on Sunday, August 25. Click your instrument for a file of information and musical excerpts to perform.
Oboe (The tempo of etude #2 should be quarter note=40.)
Percussion (a 6th etude, Timpani #2, will be posted separately)
UWAY Spring 2013 Auditions
Youth Wind Ensembles Spring 2013 Calendar
Teacher Recommendation/Nomination Information
UWAY Spring Auditions brochure
UWAY Spring 2013 Auditions - Percussion Requirements: Be prepared to perform a 4-5 minute étude on Snare (required) and 4-5 minute étude on Timpani -or- Keyboard/Mallets
How To Join/AuditionsUWAY SPRING AUDITIONS – Qualify for membership
- For new and returning UWAY students.
- May 12 (3:30-5:30pm) Menomonee Falls HS Band Room – use Door 2A for entry
- May 13 (6:00-8:00pm) & May 14 (5:00-7:00pm) UWM’s Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts – use the south side/1st floor entrance
- May 15 (3:30-5:30pm) Muskego HS Band Room – use “Door #25” for entry
- May 19 (3:30-5:30pm) Hartland Arrowhead HS (North Campus) Band Room
- May 20 (3:30-5:30pm) West Allis Nathan Hale HS Band Room – use the Commons Area doors on the west side of the building
- May 21 (3:30-5:30pm) Oak Creek HS Band Room – use Door #18 on the north-east side of the facility; Report to Room 259
- Be prepared to perform major scales in your instrument’s key of C, F, B-flat, G, and D. Prepare at least one of these scales with multiple octaves. Articulation pattern and tempo are at the student’s discretion.
A chromatic scale (ascending and descending) of at least two (2) octaves. Articulation pattern and tempo are at the student’s discretion.
- A selected etude, solo, or concerto of the student’s choosing that demonstrates diverse performance capabilities (soft/loud, fast/slow, technical/lyrical, etc.). This can be something previously prepared for solo/ensemble festival. Please prepare approximately 3-4 minutes of music for this portion of your UWAY Spring Audition.
- Percussion Students: Be prepared to perform a 3-4 minute étude on Snare (required) and ˙3-4 minute étude on Timpani -or- Keyboard/Mallets
- The UWAY Spring Auditions are open to any high school woodwind, brass, or percussion student (including rising 8th graders). The Spring Audition is to gain admission to the UWAY program, and to designate your ensemble assignment(s) if accepted.
- Students who are accepted to UWAY through the Spring Auditions will receive an acceptance packet with further instructions for membership over the summer.
- A second Fall (Chair Placement) Audition is required of all UWAY participants. The date of the Fall Audition is Sunday, August 24, 2014.
The UWAY ensembles all hold simultaneous weekly rehearsals on TUESDAY NIGHTS (6:30-8:45 pm) at UWM’s Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (2419 E. Kenwood Blvd.)top
FeesStudents who are accepted to the program will receive an Invitation Packet by June 15. Students must accept the invitation by submitting the fee (or portion of the fee) by July 15
2013-14 Tuition information:
- First-year UWAY or UJAY (Youth Jazz) students: $400
- Returning UWAY or UJAY (Youth Jazz) students: $350
- Students who participate in BOTH UWAY and UJAY: $300 per program ($600 total)
- Additional scholarships (fee reductions) are available. Information about qualifying for financial assistance is made available to students who are accepted through the Spring audition process. Please contact Prof. Corley directly for more information.
2014-15 Concert DatesSunday, Oct. 12, 3pm
Sunday, Dec. 7, 3pm
Sunday, Feb. 22, 3pm
Sunday, May 10, 3pm
Student EligibilityStudents may be a part of UWAY upon being recommended (nominated) by their high school music/bands teacher(s), by a private music teacher on their instrument, or by qualifying through the annual Spring (May) auditions. Members of the UWAY program must also be enrolled in and remain active with some aspect of their school’s music program.
The UWM Youth Wind Ensembles are open to students entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2014.
Who We Are
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Youth Wind Ensembles program (UWAY) is an out-reach program of the Peck School of the Arts Department of Music, and operated by the University Bands area. Professor Emeritus Thomas Dvorak ounded in 1982 as the Greater Milwaukee Youth Wind Ensemble, Professor Emeritus Thomas Dvorak founded the program in 1982 and since then, the program has become nationally and internationally accomplished, has included offerings in wind ensembles, chamber music, and percussion. The program is recognized as an integral co-curricular component of the Peck School of the Arts, and UWAY participants have the opportunity to work with UWM Music Faculty and Staff, and gain the invaluable experience of furthering their musicianship by performing in a university setting. The UWAY program works in cooperation with Wisconsin high school music programs, and relies on the support of our school band director colleagues.
The UWM Youth Wind Ensembles program (UWAY) is designed to supplement the fine instruction students receive from their school music programs and private music instructors by providing them with musical experiences that include: performing symphonic and chamber wind-band or jazz big-band and combo repertoire with their student peers from all over Southeastern Wisconsin, being led and inspired by the creative artist-faculty, and working closely with other musical members of the University community.top
National Board of AdvisorsNational Board of Advisors
Dr. Gary Ciepluch (Cleveland Institute/Case Western Reserve Univ.)
Dr. John Climer (Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
Prof. Thomas Dvorak (UWM Youth Music Founder/Prof. Emeritus, UWM)
Prof. Michael Haithcock (Univ. of Michigan)
Dr. Gary Hill (Arizona State Univ.)
Dr. Charles Meghini (VanderCook Univ.)
Dr. Scott Stewart (Emory Univ.)
UWAY Board of DirectorsClayton Wachholz, Cedarburg High School
Tom Reifenberg, Greendale High School
Jacob Polancich, Hartland Arrowhead High School
John Woger, Menomonee Falls High School
Sharie Garcia, Milwaukee High School of the Arts
Jennifer Climer, Muskego High School
Amy Fuchs, Oak Creek High School
Jon Waite, Sussex Hamilton High School
Kristi Wicihowski, West Allis Nathan Hale High School
Rob Engl, Retired Band Director