The Music Building is part of the Arts Center, which was constructed in two phases. The Music Building was built in 1962. An addition, built in 1968, includes the Theatre, Lecture Hall, and Art Building.
The Music Building houses the department programs for choir, jazz, music composition and technology, music education, piano, piano pedagogy, strings, woodwinds, and voice.
In addition, the Building includes recording studios and the Music Recital Hall, the main space for chamber ensembles, master classes, solo faculty and student performances, as well as convocations.
Built in 1958, the 299-seat space includes an open stage 38 feet wide by 16 feet deep. The Recital Hall, used by soloists and small ensembles, is located adjacent to the Music Building at 2400 East Kenwood Boulevard.