The Theatre Building is part of the Arts Center, which was constructed in two phases. The Music Building was built in 1962 while an addition, built in 1968, added the Art Building, Theatre Building and Lecture Hall.
The 28,600-square-foot Theatre building houses an art gallery, box office, and student advising offices. The primary departmental performance space is the 525-seat Mainstage Theatre where performances of the Theatre Department and Dance department are staged.
The Theatre Building is the academic home for the Theatre Department and includes studios, laboratories and classrooms that support the department’s specialties in acting, costume production, technical production, stage management and theatre education. Production classrooms include two prop shops, a costume shop, scenery shop, electrics shop and state of the art digital audio studio.
Built in 1968, the Mainstage includes seven elevators that allow for variable thrust stage configurations including additional audience seating. At the back of the thrust is a stage opening variable from 36 feet to 52 feet in width and a stage 64 feet wide by 30 feet deep with 27 line sets. An extensive sound system and computer controlled 384 dimmer lighting system serve performances in the space.
A ninety-eight seat black box studio theatre is located on the fifth floor of the Kenilworth Building at 1925 East Kenilworth Place and is used extensively for Theatre Department performances as well as small professional companies.