University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee

FAQ on Benefits, Uses, and Reliability of Academic Advisement
Below are responses to common questions about the Academic Advisement.

Q: What is the difference between the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and the Degree Progress Report (DPR)?
The AAR is an interactive report that is primarily designed for student usage, while the DPR is a transcript-based report that is primarily designed for administrative usage. The differences between the two reports are in presentation and functionality only; the requirements and student data on the two reports are the same.

Q: Are the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and Degree Progress Report (DPR) accurate?
The AAR and DPR are an accurate reflection of what is currently in PAWS for both the student and the requirements for a given program, plan, or sub-plan. So, to the extent that the data in PAWS is accurate and up-to-date, the reports will be, as well. In that respect, the AAR and DPR provide a good check on not only progress toward the degree, but also the accuracy of the data in PAWS.

Q: Who has access to the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and Degree Progress Report (DPR)?
Students – All active degree-seeking undergraduate students have direct access to their AAR on PAWS.
Advisors/Staff – All academic advisors and other staff who have requested PAWS access to the Academic Advisement have access to the AAR and DPR on the administrative pages in PAWS. Requests for access can be made via forms on the PAWS authorization website.
Faculty Advisors – Faculty advisors have access to the AAR on the ‘Advisor Center’ page in PAWS.

Q: Why should I use the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and Degree Progress Report (DPR)?
There are a number of reasons to utilize AAR and DPR:
  1. They are centralized reports that can be accessed simultaneously by individuals and offices across campus, unlike paper checksheets or scorecards.
  2. They serve as an accurate reflection of the student data that currently exists in PAWS.
  3. They offer significant functionality to students, including the selection of required courses for enrollment or My Planner, along with the ability to embed links to web-based information for students.
  4. The use of Academic Advisement for undergraduate graduation clearance by the Registrar's Office. Degrees are only posted when all of the requirements on the report are satisfied.
  5. The ability to access spreadsheet reports indicating completion status for one or all requirements for a select group of students or all students in a specified program, major, minor, or certificate.

Q: How are the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and Degree Progress Report (DPR) used on campus?
The AAR is primarily intended for student usage, such as during advising appointments, checking on course applicability at the time of enrollment, and degree completion planning. The DPR is primarily intended for administrative usage, such as processing multiple reports in the same request, entering student exceptions to degree requirements, and verifying degree requirement completion by the Registrar's Office Graduation Examiners.

Q: Are the Academic Advisement Report (AAR) and Degree Progress Report (DPR) generated in real-time?
Yes. Whenever an AAR or DPR is requested by staff, advisors, or students, the report is updated in real-time to include the most current information in PAWS.

Q: Is there any Academic Advisement Report (AAR) or Degree Progress Report (DPR) for post-baccalaureate or graduate students?
Some post-baccalaureate programs have coded requirements for Academic Advisement, and students in those programs are able to access their AAR on PAWS in the same way as degree-seeking undergraduates. Currently, only select graduate programs at UWM are utilizing Academic Advisement, although graduate students do not have direct access to their AAR on PAWS. Please contact Brian Hinshaw, (Degree Audit Report option), 414-229-4981, for more information.

Q: How do the AAR and DPR handle second majors, minors, and certificates?
Unless course sharing has been established between a primary major and a second major, minor, or certificate, courses that apply toward the primary major – which appears first on the reports – will not apply toward the second major, minor, or certificate. It is recommended that students confer with their advisor to determine progress toward a second major, minor, or certificate program.

Q: What different things can prevent the Advisement Report from running properly?
Typically, errors that prevent the Advisement Report from processing are caused by too many requirements or programs being processed through the system. For instance, Advisement Reports for dual degree students often generate an error prior to processing. Students who receive an error when trying to process their Advisement Report should contact their advisor to determine degree progress.

Q: Is there a way to analyze Advisement Report data for a large group of students rather than in individual reports?
Please see the Advisement Data Warehouse Tables page for more information on analyzing Academic Advisement data in batch.

Q: Who can I contact if I have Academic Advisement questions that are not covered here?
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please contact your school/college Advisement representative or Brian Hinshaw, (Degree Audit Report option), 414-229-4981.