The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee joined the ranks of top U.S. doctoral universities in February, when it became one of only 115 universities nationwide to receive the highest rating for a research institution from the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, the gold standard for assessment.
One of only two public, doctoral research universities in Wisconsin, UWM is a living laboratory of engaged research, entrepreneurship and innovation. Its research - both basic and applied - is critical to the Milwaukee region and beyond. It encompasses the arts, humanities, social sciences, sciences and professions, making UWM a knowledge factory with a global reach.
- By the numbers
- $62 million in research expenditures in 2014-15
- 40 patents
- 9 companies generated by UWM's startup culture since 2006
- 33 doctoral and 64 master's degree programs
- 27 Distinguished Professors
- Graduate Programs
- From the international search for gravitational waves to the formation of public water policy, join expert faculty in exploring some of the most talk-about research today.
- Undergraduate Research
- Pick a faculty mentor and get started applying all that classroom knowledge.
- UWM Research Foundation
- As the manager of UWM intellectual property, the UWMRF also stimulates research funding and facilitates corporate research-based partnerships.
- Industry Ties
- To accelerate discovery, UWM has formed alliances to strengthen the area's industry clusters.
With remarkable productivity and international reputations, these faculty are recognized leaders in their respective fields.