University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Quick Links
PantherMailPantherCalE-Learning, D2L, BbPAWSDirectories
Prospective StudentsEvents CalendarContact UsMapsEmployment


Main Office

Learning Disabilities & ADHD Program

Deaf/Hard of Hearing Program

Blind/Visually Impaired Program

Physical, Medical & Psychiatric Disabilities Program

Alternative Textbook Coordination (audio, Braille, enlarged, etc.)

Adaptive Technology Resources

Notetaker Orientation

Temporary Impairments

A temporary impairment (e.g., broken arm or leg, surgery and recovering from surgery, etc) “does not constitute a disability for purposes of Section 504 or the ADA unless its severity is such that it results in a substantial limitation of one or more major life activities for an extended period of time. The issue of whether a temporary impairment is substantial enough to be a disability must be resolved on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration both the duration (or expected duration) of the impairment and the extent to which it actually limits a major life activity of the affected individual.” See Question #34 on the Office for Civil Rights web page:

Please review the following suggestions if you have a temporary impairment:

Mobility Needs

1.    Where can I get information on physical accessibility to classrooms and/or events on campus?

Elevators are designated on the campus map with the letter “E”.
Link to campus map:

2.    What options are available for parking close to my classes?

Short-term UWM Disability permits for people with mobility difficulties are available for sale to eligible persons and to other persons with an obvious temporary impairment on daily basis for a period not to exceed four consecutive weeks. Short-term permits are also sold to persons in the process of obtaining the certified-proof required to purchase an annual permit or eligible persons who expect to be on campus two days a week or less. More information on accessible parking is available on UWM’s Parking and Transit web site:

3.    If I can’t walk far enough to use standard bus routes, are there other options available?

The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee does not provide any transportation services.

If you have a friend that drives to campus, check with them to see if they could assist you with your transportation needs.

For those individuals who cannot utilize the accessible bus system, Milwaukee County Transit provides the Transit Plus paratransit service, which can provide door to door service. If you are eligible to participate in the Milwaukee County Transit Plus Program, your UPASS can be used to waive your portion of the Transit Plus fare for each trip you take. To find out more about this benefit call 414-278-4091 or visit their web page at:

4.    How can I get help with snow removal on campus?

Refer to Buildings and Grounds, within Facilities at (414) 229-5096.

5.    Where can I get a loaner wheelchair or set of crutches?

Personal devices, such as crutches or wheelchairs, are not provided by the University, and as such should be obtained through the student’s personal physician or a rehabilitation vendor. You may check with your personal medical insurance company to inquire about cost.

6.    Who do I contact to discuss accessibility issues in University Housing?

Contact the University Housing Office at (414) 229-4065 or
1-800-622-0286, Monday through Friday from 7:45 am – 4:30 pm.

Stephanie Warner, Assistant Director, Business & Contract Services. (414) 229-5141

Academic Needs

If you have a temporary impairment that may impact your academic work, we recommend you contact your professors as soon as possible. You should discuss issues such as notetaking, taking exams, writing/typing written assignments, and class absences.


1.    Ask your instructor or TA if course notes already exist and whether they would be willing to give you a copy or let you make a copy. Your instructor may suggest other possibilities.

2.    Find someone in the class who would be willing to let you copy his or her notes. SAC can provide you with a letter requesting your instructor’s help in recruiting a volunteer notetaker.

3.    Tape-record the class. Talk with your instructor about this first.

Writing Projects

1.    Seek assistive technology on or off campus.

2.    Negotiate extra time to complete papers or consider taking an incomplete.

3.    Hire writing help.

4.    Get a volunteer to help with writing or to transcribe from tapes (you could post flyers, with your contact information, in residence halls or you could ask someone from your class)

5.    Negotiate a substitute for a written assignment with your instructor (e.g., oral or taped presentation, weighing other course requirements more heavily, etc.).

6.    Determine if the same course is offered by an instructor who doesn’t require as much writing.

7.    Determine if the course is absolutely necessary or if there’s a substitute.

8.    Check with the department chair, faculty or staff for resources.

9.    Be creative. Use a combination of these options. Be sure to involve your instructors in finding solutions.

Taking Exams

1.    Work with your instructor to make informal accommodations (e.g., using a computer, tape-recording your answers to short-answer and/or essay questions, having someone in the department scribe the exam).

After speaking with your instructors regarding accommodations on a temporary basis and if no solutions were found or arrangements made, you may want to contact:
  • Your Academic Advisor
If you are unable to complete the semester using the above accommodations, we recommend that you speak to your instructor about qualifying for an incomplete, or contact your advisor to discuss a late drop or withdrawal from the University.

Page maintained by Webmaster
Last updated: March 7, 2008
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
2200 E. Kenwood Blvd.
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
(414) 229-1122
Copyright © University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee |