The Leading Edge
Center for Student Involvement - Union 350
Volume 12 - Issue 7


SAVE ENERGY – Please turn off your computers and other office equipment before you leave for spring break.

SAC Meetings
Vendor changes – Office Depot, VWR Scientific, Fisher Scientific and WW Grainger
Student Association Election Timeline
Center for Student Involvement and Elections
Check-off Election
Political Activities Policy
Election Policy for Sandburg Halls (corrected)
Segregated Fee Use Update
Enterprise Car Rentals
Change of Officers
Traveling for Spring?
Upcoming Events and Activities
Women’s History Month Events


The March small grant meeting (requests under $700) and will occur prior to June 15, 2008, will be held on March 13, 2008 at 5 pm.  All forms will be due to the Senate Appropriations Committee Officer, Union EG79, by 5 pm on March 10th.  Remember travel grants must be turned in at least six (6) weeks prior to the trip date and event grants must be turned in eight (8) weeks prior to the event date.  For more information please Contact SAC Chair Tyler Draheim at with questions.

Fall large grant - The Senate Appropriations Committee (SAC) has set the date for the April large grant meeting (requests for expenses greater than $700 and that occur after July 15, 2008 but before January 1, 2009).  The large grant meetings will take place the weekend of April 19 & 20, 2008.  Grant request forms will be due in the Student Association office, Union EG79, by April 4, 2008.  Grant forms and instructions for applying for funding are found the SAC website at:


The university is transitioning to the Madison Materials Distribution Services E-Procurement Storefront for all purchases for the above vendors.  All campus direct-order accounts with Office Depot will be closed after the transition.  This transition is part of a UW System strategy to move on-line ordering from vendors common to the System to a single web portal. They anticipate the addition of other vendors to the storefront in the future.  BECAUSE NO SPECIFIC DATE HAS BEEN SET FOR THIS TRANISTION, WE CAN NOT PREDICT THE CUT-OFF DATE FOR THESE ORDERS.  Therefore it would not be wise to buy something from one of these vendors and expected to get reimbursed.  Until we get more information, as with all reimbursements, it is better to ask us prior to the purchase of anything what procedures you need to go through to buy the item you want.  Due to the numerous numbers of state contracts, the procedures vary depending on what you want to do.  Failure to follow proper procurement procedures could result in your reimbursement request being denied.


Nomination Signature Forms: will be made available to students interested in running for Student Association Senate or officer positions on Thursday, February 28th at noon. Students interested in running will have up to two weeks to collect signatures. Forms may be picked up in the IEC office (Union 363), or in the Center for Student Involvement, (Union 350).  IT IS SUGGESTED YOU GET DOUBLE THE NUMBER OF SIGNATURE REQUIRED TO ENSURE THERE ENOUGH VALID SIGNATURES.  Unreadable signatures or students not currently enrolled will not count.  If you are running for a school or college seat, only students from that school or college can sign your form – other signatures will not count.

MARCH 13TH - Completed Candidate Nomination Signature Forms and Party Lists Forms are due in Union 363 by 4:00 p.m.  Forms may be turned in early, but please be sure to turn them in to the Election Commissioner’s office.  Only one party List Form is needed per political party.  YOUR DO NOT HAVE TO BE A PART OF A POLITICAL PARTY TO RUN.  It you are not part of a party you will be listed as an independent and there is no special form to fill out for that, just the signatures forms.  It is a good idea to photo copy the forms for your records before turning them in to the IEC.

APRIL 9, 2008 - Official “Statements of Candidacy” must be e-mailed as an electronic attachment to by noon.

APRIL 9, 2008, TO APRIL 16, 2008 – Official campaigning period.  No campaigning is allowed outside of these dates or on the two days of the election. However, Get Out the Vote (GOTV) efforts will be permitted – only if these efforts do not endorse any particular candidate or political party.

TENTATIVE - THURSDAY, APRIL 17TH AND FRIDAY, APRIL 18TH - The Student Association Elections: will be held attentively held on these dates. There is a possibility the elections will be delayed the until the following week.  A separate email will be sent to confirm the dates once the Student Senate is able to meet and address the issue.

Questions regarding the Student Association elections may be addressed to Daniel V. Bahr-Independent Election Commissioner.  The election office is on the third floor of the Union in room 363. You can the commissioner at

The Center for Student Involvement must remain impartial in all election activities.  We can advise and help students in understand rules and regulations, but can not interfere with the election process.  Students with concerns, questions, or complaints should contact the IEC Commission (see above) for assistance.  If you have a complaint the Commissioner is unable to resolve you can contact the University Student Court to determine if you have any other recourse.  All election forms and policies from the IEC are on a display rack outside of the Center for Student Involvement, Union 350.  If the copies are gone, please contact the IEC to let them know.


As part of the Student Association elections, students may designate a portion of their segregated fees to the registered student organization of their choice. No student or organization may use any university resources for political activity, including promoting voting for your group in the check-off elections. This includes using your "" email account, computer labs, student organization office equipment, and etcetera. Using off-campus email accounts to mail such as or to mail to individuals’ account is acceptable. All student organizations approved by the Center for Student Involvement prior to April 1, 2007 will be included in the check-off elections. Organization codes and instructions will be posted on the CSI web site closer to the election.


No person or organization may use any university resources or state funds, which includes segregated fees for political activity associated with these elections.  This includes using segregated fees to make flyers, union banners, or any cost associated with getting a person or party elected.  This also includes your "" email account, computer labs, student organization office equipment, and etcetera.  Using off-campus email accounts to mail such as or to mail to individuals’ account is acceptable.  However the university regards the sending unsolicited emails to a large number of email accounts as spam and the university may choose to block these messages and possibly take disciplinary action against students that do not follow the University computer policies.  (see for information about UWM computer and use of technology policies).


Anyone desiring to campaign as a candidate or on behalf of a candidate for a UWM student political office must proceed according to the following policy when campaigning in University Housing buildings.

  • One-sheet flyers may be placed in residential mailboxes by University Housing staff on the weekend before the election for University Housing-affiliated organization elections only.  Candidates must submit one copy per mailbox (contact the University Housing main desk for the current resident population) to the Main Desk Supervisor no later than 12:00PM on the Wednesday prior to the election.
  • Flyers may be posted on tower bulletin boards by University Housing staff only.  Please see the “Posting Flyers” section on this policy for more information.
  • Candidates or their representatives may speak to residents in meeting rooms or house lounges by invitation only and at the times specified in the invitation.  Room reservation charges may apply (see the University Housing Facility Reservation Policy for information on room rates).
  • Candidates or their representatives may contact the Program Services Center in Sandburg Halls to reserve a table in the cafeteria (please see the “Sandburg Halls Cafeteria Tables” section of this policy for procedures and restrictions).
  • Candidates or their representatives may post a banner in commons areas (see the “Posting Banners” section of this policy for more information).
  • For Students Association and Sandburg Hall Administrative Council elections, candidates may participate in a SHAC-sponsored debate held in a University Housing building.  This will serve as an opportunity for candidates to meet with University Housing residents face-to-face.  Consequently, other face-to-face campaigning not already covered in this section (i.e., handing out flyers in building lobbies, etc) is not permitted.


The UWM Internal Audit department had found several instances where equipment bought for a student organization was used for a classroom activity or a student used the equipment in order to obtain academic credit.  Items allocated to student organizations by the Senate Appropriation Committee (SAC) or purchased by a student group using a segregated fee account are University property and may only be used for purposes allowed by State and University regulations.  These items may only be used for the organization's activities and must remain on campus, unless the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) has approved off-campus use and/or storage of the item(s).  Items purchased by segregated fees may not be used for academic, personal, political, commercial gain, or other purposes not authorized by University and UW-System policy.  Student organizations allocated equipment may be held responsible for the equipment’s loss, damage, or theft.  Equipment, including computers and phones, may only be used for your student organization's activities.


When student groups reserve an Enterprise car through the Center for Student Involvement please make certain you show up at Enterprise by the reservation time. 

Enterprise called and said many groups do show on time.  They give the vehicles away to other people or charge extra fees.  If extra fees are charged for late pickup, the university will not pay for those fees so that cost will be out of your pocket.  If you can not make the pickup time listed then it is your responsibility to call Enterprise to make arrangements for a different time.  YOU CAN NOT CHANGE VEHICLE TYPES OR RENTAL DATES WITH ENTERPRISE.  You must make those changes through the Center for Student Involvement.  Failure to do so may make you personally responsible for the total rental cost.


If your organization has changed officers since September or will be changing them in this spring, remember to turn in a Change of Officer form to the Center for Student Involvement, Union 350. It is very important to keep the Center for Student Involvement informed. Not just because it is necessary to keep your University charter, but because the Center for Student Involvement contacts student leaders frequently about training and other opportunities available.  Forms are also available at:


Get your Enterprise Rental request forms in early, as this is a busy travel period and Enterprise may not have any vehicles left for the time period you want if you wait until the last minute.  Also remember to submit your driver authorization forms to the Center for Student Involvement (Wisconsin drivers must allow at least 5 business days and drivers from other states must allow 10 business days for processing).  Driver authorization must be done each year. Each vehicle should have a minimum of two authorized drivers when two or more students are traveling.  If traveling over six hours one way, there should be at least three authorized drivers per vehicle. Forms are available from the Center for Student Involvement, Union 350, or at:





Thursday March 6, Bolton 196, noon - 1 pm. 
Want to Find Out the Secrets of Note Taking?  Come to the first of four brown bag luncheon workshops this semester.  We will show you how to improve your note taking techniques and how better notes can improve your grades.  Beverages will be provided.  Sponsored by the Tutoring and Academic Resources Center (TARC).  Stop in Bolton 180 or email with any questions.


March 10th between 9:00am-2:45pm, Union Ballroom.  Walk-ins are welcome!  Help us reach Our goal of collecting 1,000 pints of blood at UWM this year!   This is a Red cross drive, so if you missed the February 6th blood center drive you should wait and sign up for the next drive.  Fill out the following information (Name, Email, Phone, and the Time you want to donate).  Sponsored by Center for Volunteerism & Student Leadership


Each week the UWM community sends volunteers to the Hope House Food Pantry to stock shelves, clean, organize, and do inventory.  We need you to sign up for any Thursday!  We leave the CVSL office at 11:30am and arrive back on campus by 2:30pm.  You can sign up for as many or as few Thursdays as you wish!  Fill out the following information (Name, Email, Phone, and the Thursday you want to volunteer).  Sponsored by Center for Volunteerism & Student Leadership


On May 1, 2008 the term of Thomas Shields, the non-traditional student member of the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System will expire.  The Board is soliciting your recommendations for a replacement.  The 18-member Board, includes one non-traditional student of the University of Wisconsin System appointed for a 2-year term.  The student must be at least 24 years of age and a state resident who is enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate program.  The student must be in good academic standing and represent the views of nontraditional students, such as those who are employed or are parents.  The student must be enrolled for the full 2-year term.  Students interested in applying for the position, please have them submit a cover letter outlining their vision for the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents and fill out the online application at the Governor’s Boards and Commissions website at  Please send this information to The Office of Governor Jim Doyle, Attn:  Appointments Department, PO Box 7863, Madison, Wisconsin  53707-7863.  The deadline for submitting application materials is March 14, 2008.


The Care Development Center invites qualified applicants to apply for a ten week summer program for in Environmental Public Health at the National Center for Environmental Health /Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (NCEH/ATSDR) in Atlanta, Georgia. This is a 10 week paid summer internship for undergraduate students passionate about the environment, about health, and about the link between the two-this opportunity is for students majoring in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Studies, or related fields. This is a full time summer opportunity for rising collegiate juniors and seniors to get real-world experience in Environmental Public Health activities at the federal level. Students will assist with projects and be paired with mentors to gain experience in the fascinating field of Environmental Public Health. Students that are majoring in Environmental Sciences/Studies or related fields are encouraged to visit our website at http://www.cdc. gov/nceh/ cleh.  Deadline for application: March 4, 2008.  Program dates: June 4 -August 8, 2008.  For questions concerning this announcement, please contact Cory Moore at


A free workshop/orientation/seminar on how to apply to Graduate School and find financial aid at UWM is offered on the third Thursday of every month (except July).  For more information see

2040 Lofts would like to cordially invite you to a sponsored networking dinner that will connect leaders from UWM and Marquette University. The event will include a free dinner and networking speaker to meet and discuss the importance of networking for your future careers. To RSVP please email by March 12th. The event will be held on the April 2nd in 2040 Lofts’ common area. For information about the location visit 




In celebration of Women’s History Month the UWM Women's Resource Center announces the following (co-)sponsored events.  For more information please contact the UWM Women's Resource Center at 414-229-2852, visit the WRC, Union WG93. or

Sexpo: Relationships 101 - Dating and Hooking Up
Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 7pm, On campus: UWM Union Fireside Lounge.  Come discuss the current rules of dating, give and receive advice for how to meet that special someone or just mingle with other students.  For more information, contact UWM Sociocultural Programming at 414-220-3894 or go to

Carmen LaSalsera
Thursday, March 6, 2008, 9pm, On campus: UWM Union Gasthaus.  Join us for a night of music and dancing with Carmen LaSalsera.  This local musician has been called an "inspiration for other salsa singers."  Her Caribbean, tropical salsa, and reggeaton sound, have made her a rising star in the local and national music scene.  For more information, contact Becca Grassl-UWM Union Programming at 414-229-3728.

Women Without Borders Film Series
Tuesday, March 11 through Saturday, March 15, 2008 (see individual dates for film descriptions), 7pm film screenings, On campus: UWM Union Theatre.  Features new works by and about women that explore the experiences, challenges, triumphs and questions that affect the lives of women everywhere.  For a list of films and dates see  For more information, contact Annie Melchior-UWM Film Department at 414-229-6015 or

Women's History Month Lyrical Sanctuary Open Mic
Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 8-10:30pm, On campus: UWM Union Fireside Lounge.  featuring one of Milwaukee’s dynamic female voices. This event is an open mic series that welcomes poets, singers, rappers, visual artists and other performers.  For more information, contact UWM Sociocultural Programming at 414-220-3894 or go to