Evaluating Your Programs (Part Two) – Reviewing Your Process
Welcome to The Spark - a tidbit of wisdom to stimulate ideas and help you transform your student organization. The Spark is a bi-weekly resource provided through the Center for Student Involvement which is sent to all registered officers through PantherSync.
The last edition of The Spark discussed different methods to gain feedback about your program from those who attended.
Internal evaluation is just as important. Attendance numbers and participant feedback may not provide the full picture of the event. You will also want to take a look at your planning process. Sit down with the planning committee to review how things went from start to finish. Take good notes!
- Did you meet goals?
- What marketing did you utilize?
- Are there new audiences to include in the future?
- Was the event a responsible use of funding?
- How far in advance did you begin planning? Was more time needed?
- Who were your main contacts and/or resources?
- How involved was the committee in both the preparations and during the event? Did you have enough staffing/volunteers?
- What was your advisor’s role throughout the process?
- Would you execute the event again in the future? What was successful that you would try to repeat or build on? What would you do differently if you were to host the event again?
Don’t wait too long. Schedule a meeting for the following week to discuss and wrap up. It is important to get the information out of members’ heads and down on paper. Memories will fade quickly, especially as other programs and commitments come along.
Write it up. Rather than leaving a large stack of evaluation forms for the next officer (which they may not take the time to read), synthesize feedback into a brief report that highlights important contacts, planning timelines, and suggested changes for future programs. If event was a success, leave adequate details so it can be repeated. Make sure to include any pertinent financial reports, and an inventory of extra supplies.
Need help putting an evaluation together? The Center for Student Involvement can assist you with the process. To request a consultation complete the Training Request for Registered Student Organization form in PantherSync through the "Forms" tool. Trainings may also be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 414-229-5780.