Discover Urban Planning at UWM
Mission & Values
The department’s mission is to provide a nationally-recognized, professional, skills-oriented master’s degree through a strong core curriculum and client-based opportunities to apply planning skills to address urban and regional issues.
Five key values guide our efforts:
- Emphasize pragmatic, policy analysis approach to planning, that focuses on municipal planning and the larger context in which planners work.
- Provide excellence in teaching, using practice-based and service learning approaches with real world clients and projects.
- Use the Milwaukee metropolitan area as a teaching laboratory, through class projects and internships.
- Attract a highly qualified and diverse student body through the reputation of our program and faculty partnerships with communities, agencies, and professional organizations.
- Engage in nationally recognized research and practice, innovating and publishing to contribute to the continual improvement of planning practice.