Examples will be presented with varying degrees of detail to fit into your community - whether you have no past integration of sustainable practices or you are moving towards mandatory codes and increased levels or participation.
Topics within ordinances and codes will include:
• Solar and wind orientation
• Subdivision design guidelines and bonus structures for increased density
• Site design strategies
• Materials selection
Lessons learned will be presented, including:
• Frequent obstacles raised by residents
• Frequently asked questions and obstacles raised by developers
• Cost implications for public and private sectors
• Which strategies have short-term benefits for the community
• Which strategies expect long-term benefits for the community
MMSD's "Benefits of Green Infrastructure" will be reviewed and explained, including sustainable property and building strategies, along with the capital cost and cost savings opportunities.
An exercise will be included to allow participants to review selected case studies, discuss obstacles within their communities, as well as discuss positive measures already implemented in their communities.
A resource list of codes, websites, books and grants will be provided.