Sponsored by the UWMWP, this course is designed especially for teen students who are interested in practicing writing across three genres: fiction, poetry and non-fiction/essay. Practice writing activities facilitated by experienced writers and teachers that are fun, helpful and inspiring to the imagination!
- Explore concepts from poetry, fiction/short stories and creative non-fiction/essay.
- Select one genre in which to produce a polished piece of writing.
- Learn techniques used by professional writers.
- Receive individual instruction and response in small groups.
- Cultivate a full writing process: brainstorming, free writing, drafting, revising and editing.
- Learn and discuss the process of getting your work published.
- Celebrate writing with a culminating community event designed to share your work with parents, teachers and peers!
Open to all students, even if you have not participated in the Young Writers Camp. You may bring in a piece of writing you have already been working on or choose a piece through our daily writing activities, but we ask that you identify one genre to focus on for the week. For a more genre-specific writing experience, we offer Teen Writing Academy workshops in either poetry or fiction.