Although often termed a "soft" skill, communication is the most critical skill a professional needs to work effectively in any organization. Poor communication is frequently identified as the major cause of conflict and performance problems. By exploring the fundamental nature of human communication we will derive strategies for avoiding misunderstanding, creating shared meaning and motivating others. By examining how the human brain processes messages, you will discover how to interrupt internal stories that trigger emotions and how to listen when it's difficult and be assertive when it's easier to run away.
Identifying our communication style and that of others will be a key exercise because differences in style are a major cause of conflict and misunderstanding. Using a well established method, we'll discern if your predominant style is more Amiable, Driver, Analytical or Expressive. As a way to look at all diversity, we'll review the differences in male and female communication styles. You'll learn to flex your style and break through perceptual barriers. Discover also how to give feedback effectively, listen actively and express feelings non-defensively in challenging conversations.
• The benefits and barriers to effective communication.
• Avoiding "The Sucker's Choice."
• Why communication is so difficult and misunderstanding is the norm.
• The critical importance of nonverbal communication.
• How the human brain processes incoming messages.
• Video case study analysis.
• Assessing and flexing our communication styles.
• Research on differences in male and female styles.
• Emotional intelligence for when the going gets tough.
• Techniques for managing difficult moments in sensitive conversations
• Why all the emphasis on active listening?
• Two advanced listening skills.
• Twelve skills for understanding and managing perceptions.
• Practicing the most difficult listening skills.
• Giving feedback effectively; a detailed process.
• Contracting in advance for coaching.
• Risk analysis for giving feedback up the hierarchy.
• Expressing feelings non-defensively as a strategy.
• Multiple video examples analysis.
• Giving praise more powerfully.
• Dealing with defensiveness.
• Picking your battles and letting go.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Employ communication strategies for motivating performance improvement
- Flex your communication style to improve understanding
- Apply techniques for managing difficult moments in sensitive conversations