Through a series of lectures, demonstrations and in-class exercises, this course will walk you through the process of user experience design and show you how to delight and entice your users. While hands-on, this course is not a tools/coding course.
Take this course individually or as part of the Web or Digital Marketing Certificate programs.
Who Should Attend
Those interested in learning about web design principles and best practices that maximize the user experience.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Understand and apply principles of user experience design
- Conduct basic user research and analyze the results
- Recognize the basic building blocks of visual design
- Construct coherent navigation and information architectures
- Apply the cognitive aspects of interaction design to the design of websites
- Devise strategies for developing responsive and mobile designs
- Design sites that comply with Web accessibility standards
Understanding your Users: Ye shall know thy users and it will set you free.
- Principles of user-centered design
- Contextual Inquiry: Understanding users and their world
- Personas: Building a model of your users
- Evaluation: Usability testing and heuristics (that’s a fancy name for rules of thumb)
- The Aesthetics of Design: Color and typography
- Page Layout: It’s all about grids
- Graphics and multimedia
- Navigation: Help! I’m lost in hyperspace!
- Information Architecture: You can get there from here
- Searching and filtering strategies
Interaction Design: It’s more than just taps and clicks
- Framing the user’s choices
- Mental models
- Understanding cognitive load
- Providing feedback to the user
Responsive Web Design: One size does not fit all
Accessibility: What’s good for the disabled is good for everyone
Designing for mobile and tablet devices