TEACHING EVALUATION POLICIES
Date: January 1998
Authority: UWM Faculty Document 2019 and
- All departments/instructional units will conduct end-of-the-semester student
evaluations in every section of every course, including summer session courses.
- The department/instructional unit will determine the format of its course
evaluations and the method by which it will make the summary results of these
evaluations available to students.1
- Results shall be available in the department/instructional unit office for
a minimum of two years.2
- Departments/instructional units will provide annually a brief report of
their procedures for making the results available to students, to their Dean
and the University Committee.
- Each unit will ensure that evaluations are not available for faculty review
until after grades have been submitted.
- End of the semester student evaluations will be anonymous.
- Departments/instructional units are encouraged to incorporate peer reviews
and self-reviews as part of their faculty's ongoing professional development.
- Faculty are encouraged to conduct evaluations of teaching during the semester
as well as at the end of the semester in order to increase teaching effectiveness.
- Departments/instructional units are encouraged to send summary results of
teaching evaluations to the Student Association.
1 Students or anyone else, may obtain evaluation documents, via
a public record request, except that all written comments must first be reviewed
public records custodian to determine if they should not be
2 State guidelines for retention of public information
require retention for 6 years for non-tenured faculty.