THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
February 20, 2001
PRESENT: Jay Moore (Chair), Kanti Prasad, Mark Schwartz, Marcia Parsons, Paul Haubrich, Ann Snyder, Jim Sappenfield
I CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Jay Moore called the meeting to order at 1:11 pm. The agenda was approved.
II APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes from the February 13, 2001 meeting were approved as corrected.
III CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT
IV CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS
· Moore informed the committee on the Chancellor’s Cabinet meeting, where discussion included:
- An article regarding the budget in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- The establishment of guidelines designating when a UWM trip would count as a “cultural mission”
- Global Sullivan Principles
- UW Day will be March 7, 2001
- March 9, 2001 Richard Florida will be speaking at the Midwest Express Center
- There will be an increase in the fee for parking permits
- Copies of the book “Soul of a Citizen” were distributed to all in attendance at the Cabinet meeting.
· Moore informed the committee on his meeting with the Provost where topics included:
- Merit Pay Exercise
- The Disciplinary Policy
- Current processes for the Search and Screen committees
- The position of Human Resources Director
V MEMBER’S REPORTS
· Ann Snyder updated the committee on the School of Nursing Dean Search.
· Kanti Prasad spoke on the FAPBC.
· Mark Schwartz updated the committee on the School of Education Dean Search.
· Marcia Parsons updated the committee on her status with the Union Policy Board.
VI OLD BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s):
1. Requests for appointees/Nominees for Faculty Standing Committees. Faculty Senate, Divisional Committees, and Administrative Committees
LGBT Committee. Moore received a list of people that were interested in serving on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual Committee. Moore will e-mail the UC the list of interested persons and discussion will occur via e-mail.
2. Academic Approval Matrix
Paul Haubrich distributed copies pf the proposed revised Academic Approval Matrix to the members of the committee. Discussion included additional revisions. Haubrich will prepare a new matrix incorporating the additional changes and send to codification.
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Review of Proposed UWM Faculty Disciplinary Policy in Light of Changes Proposed to Madison Policy and Information from Discussions between the UWM Secretary of the University and UWS Legal Council about the Proposed Policy
Moore reiterated the recent discussion he had with the Provost.
VII NEW BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s):
1. SOA Dean Interviews
Discussion included who would be able to attend the candidate interviews for the School of the Arts Dean Search.
2. Column for UWM Report
Discussion resulted in the committee agreeing that the column should be an Executive Summary on the compression issue. Moore will e-mail the summary to members of the committee for the review.
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Follow-up with John Wanat about the review of the roles of Chairs, Associate Deans, and Deans - Deferred.
2. Discussion of the 12-month chair appointments - Deferred.
3. Motion on UWM Foundation with accounts less than $10,000
Discussion included the possibility of pooling together the smaller amount accounts to exceed $10,000 benchmark. Moore will keep the committee updated on follow-up discussions.
4. PAR Report
The PAR Report was discussed by the committee. An Executive Summary needs to be created. A copy of the PAR Report will be placed on the UC web site. The UC will present the PAR Report at the March Faculty Senate meeting. In addition, the PAR Report will be sent to FAPBC for review and to consider recommended revisions. The Faculty Senate will be informed of the UC’s action, and inquire if any additional action is needed.
5. Meeting and Agenda with ASC
The committee discussed possible agenda items for the UC meeting with the ASC. Items include but were not limited to titling and career path.
VIII PERSONNEL MATTERS
In accordance with Wis. Stats. 1985 (1)(f), at 3:15 pm., it was moved by Jim Sappenfield and seconded by Ann Snyder that the committee move into closed session. The voice vote was unanimous.
Paul Haubrich moved and Marcia Parsons seconded that the appeal by Professor Keigher be referred to the FAGC. The motion passed by a unanimous voice vote.
Paul Haubrich moved and Jim Sappenfield seconded that the committee rise from closed session at 3:40 pm. The voice vote was unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 3:40 pm.