THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
March 6, 2001
PRESENT: Jay Moore (Chair), Mark Schwartz, Paul Haubrich, Ann Snyder, Jim Sappenfield, Marcia Parsons, Kanti Prasad
GUEST: Chancellor Zimpher and Provost Wanat
I CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Jay Moore called the meeting to order at 1:16 pm. The agenda was approved.
II APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes from the February 27, 2001 meeting were approved.
III CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT
· Chancellor Zimpher spoke about the system-wide student meeting regarding tuition and financial-aid. The UWM students were given use of the Regents Room in Chapman.
· The Chancellor talked about the Economic Stimulus Package and what to expect from UW Days.
· The Chancellor addressed the budget. Points included:
- A potential fee increase for students
- Techstar grants
- Request from the governor that a set percentage of the course offerings be evening and weekend classes
· The Chancellor also addressed the parking situation at UWM. Points included:
- The administration is working on a long-term plan to solve parking problems.
- UWM has obviously outgrown its footprint.
- Outside consultants will be brought in to provide an insight on more economical use of the current campus.
[CHANCELLOR ZIMPHER LEFT AT 2:07pm]
· Provost Wanat addressed the parking issues at UWM. Items included:
- The possibility of moving some of the programs and classes off-campus.
- The research into and the actual buying of property near campus needs to happen now.
· The Provost also spoke on the Instruction and Research Academic Staff issues regarding titling and career path.
· The Provost spoke to the quality of UWM and will be reviewing the Radson Report this week.
· The Provost also provided insight on the idea of 12-month Chair appointments.
[PROVOST WANAT LEFT AT 2:39pm]
IV CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS
· Moore reminded the committee of the upcoming UW Days on Wednesday.
[AGENDA SUSPENDED FOR CHANCELLOR’S/PROVOST’S VISIT----1:25pm--2:39pm]
· Moore informed the committee on the many happenings this Friday, including Richard Florida, the CIPD Conference on campus, and the Techstar meeting.
· Moore attended the Faculty Reps Conference where discussion included:
- Instructional Teaching Staff titling issues
- System-wide Alcohol/Drug Abuse policy
- Competency testing involving high school graduation exams vs. UWM college entrance requirements
- OASIS, PeopleSoft discussions with Regent Randall
- The desire of the Regents to have integrated PK-12…16 courses, to provide a “seamless progression” to studies.
V MEMBER’S REPORTS
· Marcia Parsons informed the committee on the APBC meeting this Thursday. Parsons also updated the committee on her involvement with the Union Policy Board and the Board of Visitors meeting next Tuesday. Parsons also update the committee on the School of the Arts Dean Search and the L&S Dean Search.
· Mark Schwartz updated the committee on the School of Education Dean Search.
VI OLD BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s):
1. Requests for appointees/Nominees for Faculty Standing Committees. Faculty Senate, Divisional Committees, and Administrative Committees - Deferred
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Review of Proposed UWM Faculty Disciplinary Policy in Light of Changes Proposed to Madison Policy and Information from Discussions between the UWM Secretary of the University and UWS Legal Council about the Proposed Policy
Moore addressed Rimai’s concerns regarding some phrasing. The document has been sent to Pat Brady and the FRRC. The document, along with the flow chart, will be made available on the web. The document will be presented at the March Faculty Senate meeting.
2. Parking at UWM
The parking situation at UWM was discussed. Janet Padaway’s motion was distributed to committee members. Paul Haubrich moved and Kanti Prasad seconded that the University Committee pass the motion on to the PEC.
3. IAS – Titling and Climate
Jim Sappenfield distributed a document addressing the titling and climate issues. The discussion of the document resulted in a few changes to the language. Sappenfield will notify Erika that the UC is in general agreement with the document.
VII NEW BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s):
No action items this week.
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Follow-up with John Wanat about the review of the roles of Chairs, Associate Deans, and Deans - Deferred.
2. Discussion of the 12-month chair appointments - Deferred.
3. March Faculty Senate agenda.
The committee reviewed the agenda items for the March Faculty Senate meeting. Items include PAR Report, Disciplinary Policy, and Academic Approval Matrix.
4. April Faculty Senate agenda and meeting with President Lyall.
The committee discussed possible agenda items for the April Faculty Senate meeting. Items included Disciplinary Policy, Academic Approval Matrix, PAR Report, and Sabbatical Leave Policy.
The committee discussed possible topics of discussion for their meeting with President Lyall. Items included Budget, Enrollment Goals, Graduate Enrollment, and Technology/Distance Education.
VIII PERSONNEL MATTERS
No personnel matters.
The meeting adjourned at 4:23 pm.