THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
JUNE 26, 2001
PRESENT: Jay Moore (Chair), Jim Sappenfield, Marcia Parsons, Mark Schwartz, and Kanti Prasad
I. CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Jay Moore called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m. The agenda was approved as presented.
II APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes from the May 22, 2001 and June 12, 2001 meetings were approved as presented.
III CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT
IV CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS
· Moore congratulated Kanti Prasad on his appointment as interim Dean of the School of Business Administration.
· Moore reminded the committee of the deadline for a UC article in the UWM Report. Parsons may, time permitting, draft an article of the importance of Arts and Humanities faculty in the governance process.
· Moore reminded the committee to expect numerous requests for committee appointments for Semester 1 of the 2001-2002 academic year.
V MEMBER’S REPORTS
· Marcia Parsons reported on the status of the Letters and Science Search and Screen. Interim Dean Meadows will be continuing into next year and a new search will be initiated in the fall.
VI OLD BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s):
1. Requests for appointees/Nominees for Faculty Standing Committees. Faculty Senate, Divisional Committees, and Administrative Committees - Deferred
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Search and Screen Procedures – Moore’s draft was discussed and after modification to Section 3 approved for forwarding to Secretary Ellen Murphy.
2. Quality Initiatives – There was a brief discussion of the Quality Initiatives Report. Further discussion will take place at the July 17 meeting when the Provost will be in attendance.
3. Meeting Schedule – The summer meeting schedule was finalized: July 31, August 14, and August 21.
VII NEW BUSINESS
A. Action Item(s): None
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Follow-up about the review of the role of Chairs, Associate Deans and Deans – Deferred
2. 12 month chair appointments – Deferred
3. Personnel Decisions – The recent ruling by the Board of Regents in the Marder case was discussed at length. It was determined that the University Committee would draft a statement to go before the Faculty Senate at its September meeting. This item will remain on the agenda until a final document is approved for forwarding to the September 5, 2001 Rules Committee meeting.
4. Future Discussions – Deferred
5. Rules Committee – That status of various documents was discussed. It was determined that the UC would forward the Disciplinary Conduct Policy to the Rules Committee for placement on the September 20 Faculty Senate Agenda. The Lex Renda motion regarding the Marder case was also discussed.
VIII PERSONNEL MATTERS
[Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]: None
The meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m.