THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
AUGUST 28, 2001
PRESENT: Michael Day, Laurie Glass, Marcia Parsons,
Dave Schultz, and Ann Snyder (Chair)
I. CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Ann Snyder called the meeting to order at 1:11 p.m. The agenda was approved with the addition of the Secretary of the University’s report.
II. SECRETARY OF THE UNIVERSITY’S REPORT
A. Ellen updated the committee on issues in the Geosciences department.
B. The Homecoming Court has been changed to “Team UWM.” It is respectfully requested that the UC consider nominating a faculty member to be on the team.
C. The office of the Secretary of the University will be moving to the School of Business
Administration in October.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes from the August 21, 2001 meeting were approved as presented.
IV. CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT
V. CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS
A. Ann Snyder and Marcia Parsons will attend the New Faculty Orientation on August 30.
B. Marcia Parsons will represent the UC at convocation on August 30.
C. If Chair Snyder is to be absent, Laurie Glass will act as chair.
D. Ann Snyder will attend the Chancellor’s Cabinet next Tuesday, September 4.
V. MEMBER’S REPORTS
A. Marcia Parsons and Dave Schultz attended the APBC meeting on Thursday, August 23.
The Provost reported that the First Initiatives would not be revisited.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Action Item
1. UC members will contact people to serve on Standing, Divisional and Administrative committees.
B. Discussion Item
1. Marder motion – A review of the motion was made and a discussion followed.
2. Disciplinary Policy – A review of the history of the Disciplinary Policy was presented. The UC will review the policy.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Action Item (s)
B. Discussion Item(s)
1. Five names will be forwarded to the Provost for the Chair of the SBA Dean Search. UC members will contact names of people to chair the L&S Dean search.
2. Renaming of the School of Social Welfare – Marcia Parsons moved that the motion be forwarded to the Rules Committee for consideration. Dave Schultz seconded and the motion passed, 4-0-1.
3. The UC discussed who should be invited to future meetings.
VIII. PERSONNEL MATTERS
In accordance with Wis Stats. 1985 (l)(f), at 3:39 p.m., it was moved by Marcia Parsons and seconded by Michael Day that the committee moves into closed session. The motion passed unanimously.
The UC rose from closed session at 3:44 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m.