THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
SEPTEMBER 4, 2001
PRESENT: Michael Day, George Davida, Marcia Parsons,
Dave Schultz, and Ann Snyder (Chair)
GUEST: Sona Andrews
I. CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Ann Snyder called the meeting to order at 1:06 p.m. The agenda was approved as presented.
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes from the August 28, 2001 meeting were approved as presented.
III. REPORT FROM ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR FOR CAMPUS CLIMATE
A. Sona discussed the success of the New Faculty and Staff Orientation. There was a discussion about planning other events to help new faculty and staff become better oriented to the University.
B. The Task Force of the Climate for Women has generated a long list of possible remedies to better the University. The UC will review these remedies and discuss with Sona which ones should be pursued first.
C. Sona asked the UC if a conversation should be had with the faculty about Community Engagement and Scholarship.
IV. CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT
V. CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS
A. Last Thursday, Ann Snyder and Marcia Parsons met with the new faculty and staff. The Orientation ran smoothly.
B. Ann Snyder attended the Chancellor’s Cabinet meeting Tuesday morning:
1. Two more ideas were launched from the Milwaukee Idea. There will be a progress report published on all the Milwaukee Idea initiatives in November.
2. The accreditation process and using quality initiatives in that process were discussed.
3. About 1,000 people are expected at the UWM Homecoming at Miller Park.
VI. MEMBER’S REPORTS
A. Marcia Parsons will be attending the APBC meeting on Thursday. The Board of Visitors meeting is scheduled for September 18 at 4 p.m. Marcia will attend.
B. Dave Schultz will be attending the Rules Committee meeting on Thursday.
VII. OLD BUSINESS
A. Action Item
1. George Davida will be the Faculty Representative for the UC this year. Ann Snyder will be the UC representative on the Chancellor’s Cabinet. Marcia Parsons and Dave Schultz will the UC representatives on the APBC. George Davida will be the UC representative on OASIS. Marcia Parsons will be the UC representative on the Board of Visitors. The UC then continued work on appointments to committees. It was moved by Marcia Parsons and seconded by Dave Schultz that the appointments already made were approved. The motion passed unanimously.
B. Discussion Item
1. Marder motion – The UC discussed if the BOR followed procedure in reaching their decision. Further discussion was deferred until the UC could review the policies and procedures of the BOR.
2. Disciplinary Policy – Deferred
3. Candidates for the UC election and chairs of dean searches—Ballots for the UC special election will be in the mail on August 31. Nominations for the L&S Dean search chair will be sent to the Provost this week.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Action Item (s)
B. Discussion Item(s)
IX. PERSONNEL MATTERS
In accordance with Wis Stats. 1985 (l)(f), at 3:49 p.m., it was moved by Marcia Parsons and seconded by Michael Day that the committee moves into closed session. The motion passed unanimously.
The UC rose from closed session at 3:51 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 3:52 p.m.