APRIL 30, 2002

Business N456

1:00 pm


PRESENT:    Ann Snyder (Chair), Michael Day, Laurie Glass, David Schultz, John Friedman, and Marcia Parsons


I.                    CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Snyder called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.  The agenda was approved with the following addition: VI-B1. “Divisional Committees.”


APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The April 16, 2002 minutes were approved with the following amendment to VIII-A2, add “A proposed amendment from Randall Ryder regarding the merit allocation process (Selected Academic and Administrative Policies, S-39 “Merit Salary Recommendations-Information to Faculty Members” UWM Faculty Document 960A (Second Revision) and UWM Administration: Dated December 1991) was submitted for placement on the Faculty Senate Calendar.”


III.       PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.




A.    Snyder attended the SOIS faculty council meeting.  The revised polices were presented to the Dean.  A motion will be made at the next meeting for adoption of the revised policies.


B.     Snyder attended the Quality and Assessment Retreat accompanied by UC members Marcia Parsons and George Davida.


C.     Snyder reported receiving a letter from Ron Weber, APPC Chair, concerning the technical revision to the GER Cultural Division requirements.  The English proficiency test scoring has been changed.  The issue will be presented at the May Senate meeting. 


D.    Snyder reported receiving a request from Steve Percy from the Helen Bader Center for Non-profit.  The Center has revised the bi-laws and is making them available for the UC’s review.  The UC will request a copy to be sent for review and will file a copy with the Secretary of the University’s Office.


E.     Snyder reported receiving the evaluation of the Dean of Social Welfare and the Dean of the Graduate School.  The UC office will keep a copy on file.


F.      Snyder announced the Vice Chancellor for Communications and University Relations on-campus interviews are being held on Friday, May 3rd and Wednesday, May 8th.  All UC members able to attend will do so.


G.     Snyder will be attending the Chancellor’s Cabinet meeting on Monday, May 6th.  Agenda items include Quick Wins and Sharing in Student’s Success.


H.    Snyder reported having the opportunity to speak with President Lyall before prior to the Faculty Senate meeting.  Lyall stated that UWM needs to create its own quality indicators for the graduate programs and each program can have separate standards. 


V.                 MEMBERS' REPORTS:


A.    Parsons attended the Quality and Assessment Retreat.  This was the first of several retreats that will be occurring.  Deans, Administration, The Black and Gold Commission, and Faculty members were present.  The focus was on the Black and Gold Report and determining different ways to look at quality.  A summary of the meeting is available.


             Parsons attended the APBC meeting.


B.     Schultz attended the APBC meeting.  Graduate student stipends and TA awards were discussed.  Provost Wanat had asked APBC to review whether the awards should be offered next year.  Faculty members from Chemisty, Biology and Economics presented the current recruitment status for graduate students.  Each department received additional funding last year but it was not sufficient.  The three departments stated that the recruitment process had started too late so the results of the additional funding were not accurately measured.  It is clear that the TA’s need more money for next year.  It is unclear as to where the remaining money that is not spent goes.  This issue will be raised at the next APBC meeting by Schultz representing the UC.


C.     Friedman announced that a letter was sent to Peter Watson Boone requesting that departments be provided with a list of journals that were on the list to be not renewed so that departments could respond if necessary.  A reply was received stating that the request was impractical for this year and that an open mind would be kept for future years. 


Day will represent the UC at the May 6th ULC meeting and question why this request can not be met.



VI.              OLD BUSINESS:


A.    Action Item(s):




B.     Discussion Item(s):


1.       Divisional Committees – A concern was raised at the Faculty Senate meeting regarding the lack of volunteers for Divisional Committees.  Over the past number of years, the University Committee has had to augment divisional committees numerous times, due to lack of elected members. In an effort to understand the reluctance of people volunteering for divisional committees, a survey will be sent to all full-professors.


VII.            NEW BUSINESS:  


A.    Action Item(s):


1.       Nominations for Panther Print Task Force - Snyder shared the request received from the Student Association.  Allan Bell, ITPC Chair, was nominated by the UC to serve on the committee with a vote of 5-0-1.  Bell will be contacted to determine his interest.


B.     Discussion Item(s):


1.       Summer Schedule – The following dates have been set for summer UC meetings: May 28, June 11, June 25, July 23, and August 6.  Effective May 28th all summer meetings will begin at 1:30 p.m.


2.       Black and Gold Commission – At the April Faculty Senate meeting, the Black and Gold Commission requested the faculty respond with comments/feedback pertaining to the Black and Gold Report.  All UC members wanting to respond will do so on an individual basis.



VIII.         PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)] There were no personnel matters to be discussed.


IX.              ADJOURNMENT:  The meeting adjourned at 2:44 p.m.