THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
October 23, 2001
PRESENT: Ann Snyder (Chair), John Friedman, Laurie Glass, Marcia Parsons, George Davida, and Dave Schultz
GUESTS: Ellen K. Murphy, Secretary of the University
I. Ann Snyder called the meeting to order at 1:10 pm. The Agenda was approved as presented.
II. The October 16 minutes were approved as presented.
III. Ellen K. Murphy, Secretary of the University – 1:15 p.m.
IV. CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
1. K. St. Clair has requested a UC representative to serve on the Search and Screen for Vice Chancellor for University Relations. – John Friedman will be the UC representative.
2. Snyder attended the SOIS meeting last Friday and things are progressing. The November retreat has been postponed until January.
3. A new faculty reception will be held on Friday October 26. Snyder will be attending on behalf of the UC.
4. Snyder will be meeting with the Provost on Thursday October 25. The UC requested that she inquire about the L&S Dean search, status of SOIS matters, results of the student survey, implementation of the AQIP survey and the status of the proposed academic schedule change.
5. Snyder announced that she would be out of town from November 1 through November 4, 2001. Laurie Glass will be acting chair in her absence.
6. Due to the Secretary of the University’s move the November 6 UC meeting will be cancelled until there is urgent business.
V. MEMBERS REPORTS:
1. Laurie Glass reported that the first meeting of the School of Business search and screen is scheduled for November 1, 2001.
2. Dave Schultz and Marcia Parsons reported on the APBC meeting. Major discussions items included the overall decrease in UWM’s graduate enrollments and the issue of engagement and tenure criteria. Divisional committee chairs were invited to participate in the tenure criteria discussion.
3. George Davida stated that he was not receiving the information on Faculty Representatives meetings. Boswell will check with System to make sure he is on the official roster.
VI. OLD BUSINESS:
A. Action Items(s):
1. Committee Assignments – None of the nominee contacted were able to fill the Faculty Senate A&H vacancy. The chairs of English and History will be contacted for suggestions.
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. UC Guests – No new guests were suggested. Availability of guests will be explored over the next few weeks.
VII. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Action Item
1. Telecommuting Policy – The policy was reviewed and discussed. The UC will inform the Provost that they have no objection to the policy as proposed.
B. Discussion Item - None
VIII. PERSONNEL MATTERS: - None
IX. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 2:25 p.m.