January 14, 2003


PRESENT:                   Marcia Parsons, Chair, J. Rudi Strickler, Erika Sander, Mark Schwartz  and Laurie Glass


I.                    Call to Order and Approval of Agenda:  The meeting was called to order at 1:10 p.m. and the Agenda was approved as presented.


II.                 Approval of the January 7 minutes:  Deferred


III.               Persons who wish to be heard – None


IV.              Provost’s Report - None


V.                 Special Guest – Ruth Williams, Associate Vice Chancellor:


Associate Vice Chancellor Ruth Williams spoke to two proposals under consideration for tuition differential:


1.      Proposal 1.  Redistribute tuition equitably across part-time and full-time students. Major components of this proposal are:

·        Primary purpose is equity for all students.

·        It does not effect “segregated fees”

·        If students have to pay for each credit they won’t “hold” seats that other students could use.


2.      Proposal 2. Implement differential tuition for selected undergraduate programs beginning in Fall, 2003. Discussion points included:

·        The fact that this proposal was developed at the request of College of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Business Administration, Peck School Of the Art, and the School of Nursing, all of which want per credit differentials. 

·        It could be assessed by the course/major so not all enrollees pay, but only “majors” pay the differential.

·        Comparison tuition in the local area and entry salaries is data compiled for UWS.  R. Williams will share the UWS request for data format at a future meeting.


VI.              Chairperson’s Report and Announcements:


Chairperson M. Parsons reported the following:


·         The UC Chair and the ASC Chair will meet to discuss the “Emeritus Status” policy.

·         The Chancellor’s Cabinet was informed to: 1) anticipate some budget cuts; and 2) tuition proposals will be tuition neutral even though students have heard there may be tuition increases of as much as 25%.

·         There will be a Budget Planning Retreat on February 28.  Individual groups will be meeting in advance and the group leaders will meet on February 21 in preparation of the February 28 retreat.


VII.            Member’s Reports:


1.                   L. Glass reported that the changes to UWM Policies and Procedures – A1.05 have been submitted to the Secretary of the University’s office.

2.                   M. Schwartz will be attending the IMTPC meeting.


VIII.     Old Business


            A.        Action Item(s):


1.   Request to APC to undertake a study of UwinteriM - Deferred


B.                 Discussion Item(s):


1.       Review of Department Chair’s duties – Deferred

2.       Discussion items for the Faculty Senate – Deferred


IX:        New Business:


A.        Action Items:


1.  Chancellor Zimpher’s SSEA review – There was a discussion of the December 10, 2002 letter from SSEA Chairperson C. Dunning to UWM President K. Lyall and the December 23, 2002 response from K. Lyall.  It was determined that SSEA should proceed with the review process. When the survey instrument is finalized, the Chancellor and M. Rimai, Director of Legal Affairs should have the opportunity to review and comment before it is administered.


B.                 Discussion Items: - None


X.         PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)] - None


XI.       ADJOURNMENT:   3:30 p.m.