Present:††††††††††† Marcia Parsons, Chair, Laurie Glass, Ron Perez, Erika Sander, Mark Schwartz, J. Rudi Strickler


I.††††††††† Call to Order and Approval of Agenda: The meeting was called to order at 1:05 pm and the agenda was approved as presented.


II.†††††††† Approval of Minutes: 1/21/03 minutes approved as presented, 1/28/03 minutes approved as amended.


III.†††††† Persons who wish to be heard: None


IV.†††††† Chancellor and Provost Report:


Chancellor Zimpher reported that a statement had been issued in response to a shooting by campus police.Shorewood police and the DAís office will be involved in an investigation of the incident.


Discussion followed regarding the status of the SEVIS Review and tracking system, which has been extended to 2/15/03.The system is designed to identify international students and their visa status.The Chancellor suggested that the UC invite Monica Rimai to meet and explain the details of policy on international students.There is a need on campus to articulate our position and policy and to follow it consistently.


The Chancellor announced the resignation of Graduate School Dean William Rayburn, which will be effective 6/30/03.A call will be sent out next week to fill the position of Interim Dean of the Graduate School.


Budget issues discussed included:1) meetings with Deans to identify ways to address 5% and 10% reductions; 2) review of Graduate School operations; 3) the possibility of combining some departments to more effectively utilize faculty and staff expertise; 4) the APBC reaction to the investment plan; 5) the budgetary implications of enrollment management; and 6) alternate revenue streams.††††††††††


V.††††††† Special Guest: None


VI.†††††† Chairpersonís Report and Announcements:


Chairperson M. Parsons reported the following:


1.†††††††† M. Parsons reported on the Selection Committee meeting of the Plan 2008 Advisory Committee.Parsons noted the need to have additional faculty on the committee.

2.†††††††† Draft of the APBC letter regarding the Town Hall meeting was discussed.M. Parsons will address the issue at the next APBC meeting and asked for committee input.

3.†††††††† APCC has approved the proposals from Letters & Science for the implementation plan for a Major in Actuarial Science and a Major in Womenís Studies as well as the proposal from Letters and Science and the College of Engineering and Applied Science to implement a BS Degree in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (AMCS).Proposals are going forward through normal review process.


VII.††††† Memberís Reports:


1.†††††††† M. Schwartz reported on the Search and Screen Committee for the Director of Assessment for Institutional Research.The committee has met several times but has now been told that hiring for the position is on hold.

2.†††††††† L. Glass and E. Sander are working on putting together Department Chair Responsibilities re-draft for committee review.

3.†††††††† L. Glass reported on the January 31st meeting of Faculty Reps.Glass noted thatthe change in Regents will only effect the makeup of the Education Committee.There is also a long list of considerations for budget including long-term planning, legal aspects of fixed term appointments, and shared programs across campuses.System warned that increasing enrollments may not be a solution to budget cuts on individual campuses.


VIII.†††† Old Business:


A.††††††† Action Item(s):


1. SSEA letter to Lyall - M. Parsons will respond to SSEA committee members expressing concern regarding the tone of the letter to President K. Lyall.Parsons will request a meeting with the SSEA members.

2. Appointment of FRRC Replacement - None.

3. Status of FRRC Report - The UC will formulate a letter ofsuggestion to create a larger committee to cover the functions of the FRRC and FAGC..There is a need to include a process to train members in legal implications and time lines.This will be an on-going agenda item for the UC.


B.†††††††† Discussion Item(s):


1. Review Department Chairs Duties - Deferred

2. Discussion Items for the Faculty Senate - Deferred

3. Status of Disciplinary Policy committee work - Deferred

4. Conclusion of discussion on student military leave - completed by L. Glass.


IX.†††††† New Business:


A.††††††† Action Item(s)


1. Plan 2008 Request - M. Parsons suggested she and/or other faculty members attend the next committee meeting.The committee must include more faculty.


X.††††††† Personnel Matters: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]

Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f) at 1:05 pm it was moved, seconded and unanimously approved to move into closed session.The Committee rose from closed session at 1:17 pm.


XI.†††††† Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 3:50 pm.