THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
September 3, 2002
PRESENT: Davida, Glass, Parsons, Perez, Sander, Schwartz, Strickler
I. CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Parsons called the meeting to order at 1:07 p.m. The agenda was approved as presented.
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The August 27, 2002 minutes were approved as amended.
III. PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.
IV. PROVOST’S REPORT: (1:30 p.m.)
Provost Wanat discussed the following issues with the University Committee:
Accreditation process: Leslie Schultz has recommended that a steering committee be created to organize the process. Organization needs to take place in 2003, the self-study will occur in 2004 and site visits will be conducted in 2005. A handout of the new proposed criteria for accreditation was distributed. Wanat recommended that the steering committee be made up of faculty, academic staff and a few students. Wanat suggested that Leslie Schultz meet with the UC to discuss this issue further.
Investment Plan: Wanat would like to work together with the UC and APBC in reviewing the progress of the plan.
2002-03 Budget: Wanat distributed the Draft Suggested Allocation Plan and substantial discussion occurred. Wanat stated there is approximately $3.3 million to spend. Wanat will be meeting with APBC this Thursday to continue discussion of the suggested allocation plan. Wanat stated the following 3 items were taken into consideration when preparing the proposal: building quality programs, following through on pledges made in the past, and assigning dollars that can be leveraged (spending in areas of high student demand which would result in added tuition revenue; hiring faculty who are able to generate research grant money).
Request for uniform faculty evaluations: Wanat met with the President of the Student Association and discussed the request to have uniform faculty evaluations available on-line for students to access. Wanat encouraged the Student Association to meet with I&MT and present the request to the faculty. The University Committee advised Wanat to review the existing policy regarding faculty evaluations and forward this information to the Student Association.
Black and Gold Recommendations: Wanat distributed the Recommendations of the Black and Gold Commission. Substantial discussion occurred.
Capital Campaign: Wanat stated that the new Assistant Chancellor for Development will be starting soon. Endowed Professorships and Scholarships will be the two main areas of focus.
V. CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A. Parsons reported that there was no University Committee representation at Convocation. Parsons reminded the committee that there will be times when she, as chair, can not attend an event. In these situations, it would be greatly appreciated if any member/s available to attend would do so.
Parsons met with Monica Ramai and Ellen Murphy regarding the
Operating Procedures for the UWM University Committee.
Parsons announced the luncheon with the Academic Staff
Committee is tentatively scheduled for September 12, 2002 from 12:30 p.m. –
D. Parsons announced that a draft of the UC Handbook has been completed. Encouraged members to review the book and make suggestions/comments.
A. Sander attended the New Faculty Orientation and met 25 of the new faculty members. A list of new faculty will be obtained and those who did not attend will have the materials sent to them.
B. Perez announced that the Rules Committee meets Wednesday, September 4, 2002.
VII. OLD BUSINESS:
1. Appointment to the following faculty standing committees: ITPC, Codification (nominees only), APCC and FAGC. – The following appointments were made:
ITPC: Professor Pat Schroeder
Codification: Two faculty members will be contacted to determine their willingness to serve on the committee.
APCC: Professor Tim Ehlinger and Professor Jay Lee
FAGC: Professor John Reisel
Perez left at 3:15 p.m.
2. Appointment to Social Sciences Divisional Committee – Professor James Peoples was appointed to serve on the Social Sciences Divisional Committee.
3. University Committee Operating Guidelines – The Operating Guidelines were distributed. Parsons announced that the document was reviewed by legal and recommendations were highlighted. The committee came to consensus that the tentative agenda will be posted on the University Committee’s web page on Friday and the final draft will be posted no later than noon on the Monday before the meeting. The agenda will no longer be sent out via email. Substantial discussion occurred regarding item #5. Davida expressed concern about violating open meeting and open records laws. It was moved and seconded to adopt the operating procedures as amended. The motion passed with a role call vote of 5,1,0. Parsons, Schwartz, Strickler, Glass, Sander voted yes; Davida voted no; Perez was not present.
4. Appoint a member to represent the UC on the EBC – The meeting times of the EBC will be available at the next UC meeting.
B. Discussion Item(s):
VIII. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Action Item(s):
1. Appoint two faculty members to the Transportation Subcommittee – The University Committee recommends that the Physical Environment Committee appoint a member to serve on the subcommittee. The University Committee will contact Prefessor Edward Beimborn to see if he is willing to serve on the subcommittee.
2. Appointments to the Awards & Recognition Committee and the Research Policy Committee – Deferred
B. Discussion Item(s):
IX. PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]
X. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 4:14 p.m.