THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
September 24, 2002
PRESENT: Davida, Glass, Parsons, Sander, Schwartz, Strickler
I. CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Parsons called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m. The agenda was approved as presented.
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The September 17, 2002 minutes were approved with amendments.
III. PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.
IV. SPECIAL GUESTS: (Tom Luljak and Carla Ashenhurst 1:33 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.)
Tom Luljak provided an overview of the University Relations and Communications Office. The mission for the office is to communicate UWM’s role as a world-class teaching and research institution. There are 15 – 18 people that are part of the division who all focus on the following 3 main goals for UWM: 1) Create awareness, 2) Develop understanding and 3) Establish relationships.
Carla is responsible for Government Relations, which includes building relationships, sharing issues and updating government officials at the city, county, state and federal levels. She is also responsible for lobbying. Carla stated that it is helpful to UWM if faculty members communicate with their own officials on personal time using personal letterhead. The advice to UWM faculty is to not use University email to communicate with legislators. There are a number of legislators who believe that state resources should not be used and do not feel that this is a “gray” area. The University Relations and Communications Office is willing to provide support to staff who want to communicate messages to legislators and will provide information such as talking points and contact information.
Luljak and Ashenhurst suggested that the UC consider forming a subcommittee to work with the University Relations and Communications Office to help in the process of channeling communication to legislators.
V. CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A. Parsons met with Provost Wanat. Wanat stated that he would be open to hearing a proposal from the UC to appoint a faculty member to administer the accreditation process. This item will be discussed further under old business.
B. Parsons had an informational meeting with Monica Rimai and Ellen Murphy.
Parsons announced that the joint meeting with the UC and the
ASC will be held in the Union room 344 on October 24th from 12:30
p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
A. Sander announced the ADA Advisory Committee will meet the week of September 30th.
announced that he will be attending the Board of Visitors meeting September 25th.
announced that he attended the first half hour of the EBC meeting. Professor Randy Ryder was selected as
chair. The committee is concerned about
the possible 3-tiered benefit proposal.
One important concern is the impact the proposal would have on staff
with lower incomes. The committee would
like to be prepared and have a coordinated response for when the proposal is
VII. OLD BUSINESS:
1. Appointments to the Research Policy Committee - Professor Jeffrey Hayes was appointed to the Research Policy Committee.
2. Appointments to the Natural Sciences Divisional Committee (one to replace Bruce Allen 1st semester and one to replace Norman Lasca 2nd semester) - Professor Erik Christensen was appointed to serve on the Natural Sciences Divisional Committee for a one-year term.
B. Discussion Item(s):
1. Selection process for the NCA accreditation steering committee – The UC agreed to make a formal written request to Provost Wanat to consider appointing a faculty administrator for the accreditation process, and to submit a list of names of those we would like to have him consider. The UC will ask Wanat to respond to the request at the October 1st meeting.
When the UC is apprised of the Provost’s response to the first request, the UC will continue the process of building the list of names and choosing the 15 faculty members to serve on the five assessment subcommittees.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Action Item(s):
1. Discussion occurred regarding the draft of the Department Chair’s Responsibilities. The UC will request to review the document prior to submission to the Rules Committee.
IX. PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]
The committee went into closed session at 3:31 p.m.
a. Request for tenure clock extension
2. The committee rose from closed session at 3:47 p.m.
X. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 3:47 p.m.