October 1, 2002

Business N456

1:00 pm


PRESENT:   Glass, Parsons, Perez, Sander, Schwartz


I.                    CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Parsons called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.  The agenda was approved as presented.


II.                 APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The September 24, 2002 minutes were approved with amendments.


III.               PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.


IV.              PROVOST REPORT: (Wanat 1:35 p.m. – 2:55 p.m.)


Wanat addressed the following four questions:


1)      Can the UC get a copy of the Academic Deans Council Agenda prior to the meeting?

The agenda that is distributed is the final product displaying what was actually addressed at the meeting.  There are always several items on the agenda that do not get addressed due to lack of time.  Therefore, receiving the agenda prior to ADC meetings may cause confusion.

2)      The status of S-39, the Merit Pay Process?

The Deans are in agreement that there is no consistent campus-wide or even school/college wide “culture” for conducting the merit process.  For that reason, the Provost is currently of the opinion that the merit spreadsheets for the entire campus should be made available for review by all groups involved with the process. 


3)      Will the University Committee be asked to address the salary compression issue?

Wanat responded that there was a 1% giveback in 01-02, and there will be anther 1% in 02-03, to create the Chancellor’s Graduate Awards.  It is not entirely clear whether there is broad support for a continuation of that give-back to create a pool to address compression.  Wanat is open to consider all suggestions.

4)      Has a decision been made on having a faculty member be the leader for the NCA steering committee?

Wanat provided the UC with a copy of the NCA handbook that indicates the Chancellor should appoint the campus coordinator for the accreditation process.  The key asset that is necessary for this leader to hold is the ability to work with others.  Wanat will discuss this with the Deans.  A timeline for the accreditation process was distributed illustrating that we are on schedule but need to get started soon.


Wanat discussed the endorsement made by the Deans for the Black and Gold Commission.  Student satisfaction and success is most important.  A sample of the NSSE survey results was distributed.  In general, the results do not look very good.  UW-M fell below the Urban and Doctoral Institutions in 44 different areas.   The UWM Senior Survey results are available on the Academic Affairs web site.







V.                 MEMBERS' REPORTS:

A.                 Glass announced that she received an email from Peter Watson Boone stating that the initial serial cuts are not as bad as they had anticipated.

Glass reminded the committee that the schedule and deadlines for PAWS grading system is being sent out.  There is only one email notification sent so faculty need to pay attention to this.


B.                 Perez stated that the Rules Committee is meeting on October 2nd.  The agenda includes the following items:  follow-up on S-39, and the charter for Rules Committee – change of the time limit for requests, and UWM Library name change.

C.                 Sander attended the ADA Advisory Committee meeting.  Due to other commitments, Sander was not able to attend the entire meeting and missed the presentation regarding legal changes.  A summary of the meeting will be sent out via email to the committee.


VI.              OLD BUSINESS:


A.                 Action Item(s):


B.                 Discussion Item(s):


1.      Continued discussion of selection process for the NCA accreditation steering committee - Deferred



VII.            NEW BUSINESS: 


A.                 Action Item(s):



B.                 Discussion Item(s):

1.       Request to form a subcommittee to work with the University Relations and Communications Office to help in the process of channeling communication to legislators – Parsons will contact Luljak and suggest that two members of the University Relations Committee and two Senators should be selected to form a subcommittee.

2.       Discuss Greg Jay’s concerns of the UWM Bookstore – The University Committee will invite Linda Hausladen, Director of the UWM Bookstore, to the address the UC at a future meeting.

3.       Black and Gold Commission Report – It was moved and seconded to forward the endorsement statement to the Rules Committee to be placed on the next Faculty Senate meeting agenda.  Motion carried by a voice vote.


            Perez left at 3:25 p.m.


VIII.         PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]



IX.              ADJOURNMENT:  The meeting adjourned at 3:26 p.m.