THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE

UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE

MINUTES

November 5, 2002

Business N456

1:00 pm

 

PRESENT:    Davida, Glass, Parsons, Perez, Sander, Schwartz, Strickler

 

I.                    CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Parsons called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m.  The agenda was approved as presented.

 

II.                 APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The October 29, 2002 minutes were approved as presented.

 

III.               PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.

 

IV.              CHANCELLOR AND PROVOST REPORT: (1:30 p.m. – 2:40 p.m.)

 

Chancellor Zimpher and Provost Wanat addressed the following issues: 1) UWM housing issue, 2) UWM 2008 plan for diversity, 3) UWM’s economic impact and 4) History Ph.D. proposal.

 

1)     Stanley Battle has submitted a housing report listing several options for consideration, which include but are not limited to Columbia Hospital, Park East, and the conversion of the East Tower.  UWM needs to look at what can be done in the immediate future with out spending a lot of money.  December 15th is the set deadline to decide on the short-term solution, which will be completed by the fall semester.  Columbia Hospital and Kenilworth will continue to be reviewed for long-term solutions.  Zimpher stated that Shorewood Heights was not on the list, but it will be checked into.

2)     Stanley Battle and Gary Williams are in charge of the UWM 2008 plan for diversity.  The extent of faculty involvement is unknown.  Wanat will provide more information to the UC regarding this issue.

3)     The UC asked if data will be resurrected regarding UWM contributions to the economy.  System provided a figure of 82% and UWM provides approximately 90% to the economy.  System is focusing on 4 themes this year which include 1) economic impact, 2) Engage Wisconsin which is being led by Regent Gottschalk, 3) Access and how the admission freeze affected last year and what will happen this year and 4) the surge in enrollment.  UWM’s applications are up 30% from this time last year.  Discussion occurred regarding economic development.  UWM has to make it clear that this campus is doing everything we can for economic development.  Discussion occurred regarding tuition flexibility and access.

4)     The History Ph.D. proposal has been restored to the agenda as a 2nd reading, but it is on record as being oppositional.  Currently eight BOR members are supportive of the proposal and the Chancellor’s office will continue to contact members of the BOR asking for support.  The Governance bodies and faculty members have been supportive by expressing concern to the BOR and Cora Marrett.  The two main concerns with the Ph.D. proposal are that it does not support the mission of UWM and it will require additional resources.  This is an academic fight that UWM needs to move forward on.  If the proposal is rejected, it will be brought back to the BOR again.
  

V.                 SPECIAL GUEST: Sona Andrews (2:30 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.)

Andrews presented the Discriminatory Conduct Policy revisions to the UC.  Andrews would like to put the revisions into effect as soon as possible because the old policy has a number of provisions that make it impossible to operate under.  Andrews would like to test the revisions and make them effective for 9 months and then submit the revisions to the Faculty Senate for endorsement.  The revisions do not change the policy, but do change the way the EDS office implements and facilitates the policy.

 

Perez left at 3:22 p.m.

 

Andrews reviewed the revisions with the committee and highlighted the changes that were made.  Andrews asked for the UC’s acceptance to allow for implementation of the revisions of the policy prior to bringing them before the Senate in September of 2003.

           

Motion:  The draft of the Discriminatory Conduct Enforcement Procedures shall be utilized for the next nine months and then be forwarded to the Faculty Senate in September 2003.

 

The motion was seconded and a roll call vote was taken:  Glass, Parsons, Sander, Schwartz, and Strickler voted yes, Davida voted no.  The motion passed with a vote of 5, 0, 1.

 

The committee asked Andrews why the email regarding Team Cleaning was distributed.  Andrews stated that she had been receiving a lot of emails from individuals requesting more information.  After responding to all requests individually, it was decided that the information should be placed on the web for all those interested and a group email message was also distributed.

 

VI.              CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
 

A.    Parsons announced that the History Ph.D. proposal has been restored to the BOR agenda as a 2nd reading, but System Academic Affairs apposes the proposal.  Parsons, Jay Moore and Jeffrey Merrick will attend the BOR meeting on Thursday.

B.     The new wording of the motion to endorse the Black and Gold Commission Report was unanimously supported by the APBC and forwarded back to the UC.  The UC will forward the motion to the Rules Committee for placement on the November Faculty Senate calendar.

C.    Parsons announced that Bruce Maas and Beth Weckmueller will be attending the November 12th meeting.

D.    The Academic Staff Committee proposed three dates to hold a joint meeting: November 14, December 5, and December 12.  The UC is in favor of holding the meeting on November 14th beginning at 12:30 p.m.  The location will be determined.

 

V.                 MEMBERS' REPORTS:

A.    Sander distributed handouts from the Faculty Reps meeting.

B.     Schwartz will be attending the EBC meeting on November 6th.



VI.              OLD BUSINESS:

 

A.    Action Item(s):

None

B.     Discussion Item(s):

 

1.      Continued discussion of selection process for the NCA accreditation steering committee – The UC created a list of individuals to serve as the Associate Vice Chancellor for the accreditation process.  Parsons will submit the names to Wanat.

2.      Review draft of 4.07 Department Chair Duties – Deferred

VII.            NEW BUSINESS:

 

A.    Action Item(s):

 

1.      Appoint UC member to serve as a representative on the Institutional Management Technology Planning Committee – Davida will serve as the UC representative.

2.      UWinteriM – potential motion for the Rules Committee - Deferred

                 

B.     Discussion Item(s):

1.      Discuss whether we should produce a list or menu of discussion items for the faculty senate based on information coming out of the BOR and UW System via the Faculty Reps. (for example tenure issues, quality issues, campus compact, etc.) – Deferred

2.      Discussion of the length of UC meetings - Deferred

VIII.         PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]

 

The committee went into closed session at 4:15 p.m.

 

1.      Tenure clock extension.

2.      Request for augmentation of the Executive Committee of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.

 

The committee rose from closed session at 4:24 p.m.

IX.              ADJOURNMENT:  The meeting adjourned at 4:24 p.m.