November 12, 2002

Business N456

1:00 pm


PRESENT:    Davida, Glass, Parsons, Perez, Sander, Schwartz, Strickler


I.                    CALL TO ORDER AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Parsons called the meeting to order at 1:04 p.m.  The agenda was approved with one addition (see VII,A.1.).


II.                 APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The November 5, 2002 minutes were approved as presented.


III.               PERSONS WHO WISH TO BE HEARD (Not longer than 15 minutes): There were no persons who wished to be heard.


IV.              SPECIAL GUEST: Bruce Maas, Beth Weckmueller and Mary Roggeman


Roggeman provided an update on the status of the Financial Aid office.  The office is currently clearing up the last of the Direct Loan details from fall financial aid issues.  The office is dedicated to serving the students, and staff will continue working weekends until business is caught up.  The office has identified the areas of concern and has been running extra reports and working with a consultant to address the problems.  The office is currently able to send data to the U.S. Department of Education without any problems and believes that the problems will be solved for next semester.


Maas and Weckmueller provided an update on the OASIS project.  Everything is currently on schedule.  A software upgrade will take place in June and the software will then be web-based.  The technical work is being completed by I&MT.  The main focus during the upgrade process will be to ensure all current functions, along with attention to new details to make the system more useful, will be enhanced. Madison is already using the new version of software and reports it is working well. 


The committee requested that reminders be sent to faculty members to inform them of the grading deadlines.    



A.    Parsons announced that History Ph.D. proposal has been approved by the BOR.  Parsons will acknowledge the History faculty in her report to the Faculty Senate on November 21st.


B.     Parsons announced that university relations team from UW System will be coming to UWM on Thursday, November 21st.  Karla Ashenhurst has requested that a few members from the UC to join the group from 1:30 – 2:15 p.m. in Chapman 306.  The topics will include “what’s important to UWM” as well as the “Engage Wisconsin” lobbying strategy for the upcoming budget challenge.  Glass and Strickler will meet with the UW System university relations team.   Parsons will contact Ashenhurst and request a list of the major issues that will be discussed.  Tess Arenas will also be on campus on November 21st.  Sander will attend the presentation by Tess Arenas. 

V.                 MEMBERS' REPORTS:

A.    Sander attended the ADA Committee meeting.  A summary of the meeting will be provided via email.

B.     Perez announced that the Rules Committee met, and the Black and Gold endorsement statement is on the agenda for the November Faculty Senate meeting.

C.    Schwartz attended the Economic Benefits Committee meeting.  No action has been taken on any items.  Tom Luljack was present at the meeting to work with the committee in determining the best way to move forward with the healthcare issues. In a survey completed by Ohio State, UWM salaries are low and benefits, high, when compared with like institutions.  Professor Randy Ryder, Chair of the EBC, is willing to meet with the UC to discuss the current issues that the EBC is addressing.

VI.              OLD BUSINESS:


A.    Action Item(s):


B.     Discussion Item(s):


1.      Continued discussion of selection process for the NCA accreditation steering committee – The UC created a list of names for the five subcommittees of the accreditation steering committee.  Six names were provided for each area.  Parsons will submit the names to Provost Wanat.

2.      Review draft of 4.07 Department Chair Duties – Deferred

VII.            NEW BUSINESS:


A.    Action Item(s):


1.      Consider Accountability Procedures for UC Operating Guidelines- The Accountability Procedures for the UWM University Committee were distributed and reviewed.  Glass moved the approval of acceptance to adopt the Accountability Procedure for the University Committee.  The motion was seconded by Schwartz.  Substantial discussion occurred.  By consensus, the following sentence was amended (change is bold faced) “To be an effective governance partner, the UC must often engage in a variety of issues that require professional discretion, and, in some cases closed session, confidentiality.”

                                    Glass left at 3:15 p.m.


            Davida asked if UWM Legal Counsel had reviewed the document for compliance with the Open Meeting Law.  Parsons responded in the affirmative.


            Davida objected to the UC’s consideration of the document, which he believes requires confidentiality in an open meeting, and noted that this is contrary to State law.


Perez left at 3:25 p.m.


            Sander called the question.  A role call vote was taken on the motion with the understanding that the implementation of the procedures would occur immediately after Legal Counsel reviews the document and provides a written statement to the committee that ensures procedures are legal per the State "Open Meeting Law."


            Yes: Sander, Parsons, Strickler, Schwartz

            No: Davida

            Abstain: none

            The motion passes on a 4,1,0 vote.

2.      Appoint UC member to serve as a representative on the Counsel on Information Technology – Davida will serve as the UC representative and Schwartz will replace Davida on the Institutional Management Technology Planning Committee.

3.      UWinteriM – request to the Academic Program Committee for a motion to the Rules Committee – Parsons will prepare a request for the APC to submit a motion to the Rules Committee regarding UWinteriM.

4.      Statement of clarification of the Faculty Senate concerning Discriminatory Conduct Policy – Parsons will yield 3 minutes of the UC report time at the November 21st Faculty Senate meeting to Sona Andrews to allow for explanation of modifications to the Discriminatory Conduct Procedures.


B.     Discussion Item(s):

1.      Discuss whether we should produce a list or menu of discussion items for the faculty senate based on information coming out of the BOR and UW System via the Faculty Reps. (for example tenure issues, quality issues, campus compact, etc.) – The UC agreed that a list of items should be generated.  Discussion will continue at the next scheduled meeting.

2.      Discussion of the length of UC meetings – Deferred


VIII.         PERSONNEL MATTERS: [Closed session according to Wis. Stats. 19.85 (1)(f)]



IX.              ADJOURNMENT:  The meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.