CNPE connects you with local, state, and national resources to support the professional learning and development you need to improve students’ educational experiences. The Center's mission is founded on the principle that public, private and charter schools are in a position to provide our youngest members of society with educational opportunities that help them.
If you are an Initial Educator, UWM’s Center for New and Professional Educators (CNPE) is here to help you move through the State of Wisconsin licensing system using a Professional Development Plan (PDP). We understand that the political and practical context of preparing educators, administrators, and other school-based personnel has changed significantly over the last decade as the demands for better student outcomes have intensified.
Research on these changes has produced an image of professional learning and development that begins in preparation programs and extends throughout one’s career (Bales & Mueller, 2008; Darling-Hammond, 1997; Floden, 2009; National Research Council, 2010). As such, we are committed to helping you:
- Bridge the work of your E-Portfolio to the State of Wisconsin relicensing process;
- Move successfully through your Induction experiences;
- Complete your Professional Development Plan (PDP);
- Access the research and resources needed to make sound data-driven decisions to improve students' opportunities to learn;
- Become the type of professional, who uses learning to proactively change schools to better meet student's needs.
Step 2-CNPE Initial Registration & Deposit
Step 3-PDP Goal Approval & Verification Process: Final Registration & Payment Due
- Stay connected with UWM's CNPE and your program-based IHE
- Secure PDP Team
- Consider UWM graduate courses as part of your PDP
- Complete and submit first-year reflection and PDP goals for approval
- Implement and document activities, annual review and any revisions to plan
- Document completed activities
- Compile evidence with narrative
- Submit plan for verification
Click here to view the complete continuum of CNPE's services for student's completing education related programs.
CNPE is supported by the Department of Public Instruction and License Renewal and Support Centers, the University of Wisconsin System PK-16 Teacher Quality Initiative, and UWM’s Teachers for a New Era.
Barbara Bales, PhD, Director
UWM Center for New & Professional Educators