The Center for Mathematics and Science Education Research (CMSER), founded in 1985, works to advance the Milwaukee Idea and the urban mission of University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee by:
- Coordinating research, teacher education, curriculum development and implementation, and dissemination efforts in mathematics and science education.
- Fostering rich partnerships with educational institutions and organizations throughout the Milwaukee metropolitan area.
- Focusing attention on the issues of teaching and learning mathematics and science from preschool through college.
The Center focuses its work in the following areas:
Research in Mathematics and Science
- Examine effectiveness of curriculum and instruction on student learning.
- Study teacher instructional strategies and content knowledge.
- Evaluate school districts' curricular programs.
- Focus on instruction, content, national standards, and reform-based curricula.
- Foster professional learning communities through team-based programs.
- Allow teachers to earn college credit while upgrading their subject knowledge and expanding their repertoire of instructional practices.
- Offer courses in local schools and at the university.
- Create networks for collaboration among university departments.
- Unify programs through cross-disciplinary projects.
- Ease the transition into teaching by strengthening professional links.
Curriculum Development and Implementation
- Support schools and districts with curriculum implementation through strategies for instruction, assessment, and leadership.
- Develop materials and design experiences that support teaching and learning mathematics and science with reform-based curricula.
- Implement and support field-tests of new curricula.
- Coordinate development of instructional technology for mathematics and science teaching and learning.
- Disseminate new knowledge, innovations, and best practice to increase learning effectiveness.
- Inform and update educators on the national, state, and local standards in mathematics and science.
- Serve as a clearinghouse of information and learning opportunities.
- Sustain links to professional organizations in mathematics and science education.
- American Geological Institute
- Association for the Education of Teachers in Science
- Biological Sciences Curriculum Study
- Community-based Science Education Centers
- Cooperative Educational Service Agency (CESA) #1
- Milwaukee Public Schools
- National Science Foundation
- Southeastern Wisconsin School Districts
- T3 - Teachers Teaching with Technology
- UWM colleges, departments, and schools, including Architecture, Engineering, Biological Sciences, Geosciences, Chemistry, Mathematics, Curriculum and Instruction, Physics, and Educational Psychology