Waiving CURRINS 300 Field Hours
Students who were recently (within the last two years) or are currently employed in a school may be permitted to use some work hours to meet the field component of the course. Employment must be professionally-related direct involvement in a setting where at least 40% of students receive free or reduced lunches and 50% of the students are of a race the student does not share.
The number of hours to be substituted will be determined on an individual-case basis. Students will be required to enroll in the course, attend classes, and complete required field experience assignments used to assess potential for a career in teaching.
Any request to waive all or part of the required 50 hours must be made in writing on the Waiver Request for CURRINS 300 Field Experience form. The request must be accompanied with documentation from the school's administrator on letterhead indicating the racial and socioeconomic make-up of the student body. The student must also provide written documentation describing the alternate field experience.
Requests for waivers must be submitted to the student's academic advisor by the end of the second week of school for fall and spring placements and by the end of the first week of school for summer placements.
- A Waiver Request for CURRINS 300 Field Experience form may be obtained online, through the advising office or directly from an academic advisor.
- The student completes the entire form, attaches the required documentation, and forwards the form and attachments to his or her academic advisor.
- The academic advisor will review the form for completion and required documentation and forward the form to the appropriate program chair for review and decision. The program chair forwards the form to the department chair for review and decision.
- Approved requests will be entered in the student's electronic record by the academic advisor.
- The student will receive an email or phone call from the academic advisor confirming the decision.
- The original form will be retained in the student's permanent file in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. A copy will be forwarded to the Office of Field Experience and the Coordinator of CURRINS 300.