Special Education Teacher Certification
This UWM Program is right for you:
- Experienced Faculty - Expertise in urban teaching, inclusive education, and assistive technology
- Urban Focus - Culturally responsive teaching for students from diverse backgrounds
- UWM/MPS Internship - Opportunities to learn while on-the-job teaching
- Undergraduate 15 credit Autism Spectrum Disorder Certificate
- Evening Classes - Learning formats that meet the needs of adult learners
- Masters Degree Option - Certification can lead to a Masters Degree
Individuals earn certification in Cross-Catagorical Special Education at the early childhood (ECSE), middle childhood to early adolescence (MCEA), middle adolescence-adolescence (EAA). Individuals who complete the deaf/hard of hearing program are certified in special education, cross-categorical and in D/HH, pre-k to high school.
Most students begin the certification program at a postbaccalaureate level and move to the Graduate Program to complete their Master's Degree. We also offer an undergraduate degree in Early Adolescence. More information on the certification, undergraduate, and masters program are under each of the certification options.
- Early Childhood - Special Education (Birth-Age 8)
- Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence (Ages 6-13)
- Early Adolescence - Adolescence (Age 10-21)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing - (pre-kindergarten - grade 12)