The 809 license extends your teaching options. This license will enable you to teach children with disabilities in cross categorical settings in infant/toddler programs and Kindergarten through third grade.
Application Process for 809 License
- Must currently hold a 808 license
- Complete an application packet which includes:
- 1. University of Wisconsin System Undergraduate application form
2. Post-Baccalaureate Form
3. Student data sheet for the UWM Department of Exceptional Education
4. Official college Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts
5. Copy of Wisconsin Teaching License
- Mail above materials to:
- Dr. Mary McLean
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- P.O. Box 413
Enderis Hall rm 247
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
Once a student is accepted, they will meet with an academic advisor to determine the coursework and fieldwork needed. Most teachers who currently hold the 808 license can obtain the 809 license by taking the following four courses. Some students may require more or less courses.
- EXCEDUC 682 - Language and Literacy in ECSE (3 credits)
- EXCEDUC 570 - Curriculum and Methods for Special Education: Primary (3 credits)
- EXCEDUC 649 - Early Childhood Field Experience (3 credits) In some cases this can be completed "on the job."
- CURRINS 330 - Teaching of Mathematics: Early Childhood (3 credits)
For more information or application materials contact:
Dr. Mary McLean