The ProgramThe Adult & Continuing Education Leadership specialization is committed to the development of reflective administrative practitioners and leaders of a wide variety of urban organizations. These include post-secondary institutions (e.g. comprehensive colleges and universities, vocational and technical schools, two-year centers, etc.), health care organizations, business and industry organizations, community agencies, religious organizations, and others.
Doctoral students receive research-based preparation to fill several roles within these organizations such as Professor and Scholar, Administrative/Manager, Program Planner/Developer, Instructor/Trainer, Consultant, Counselor, and others.
Spring 2013October 17, 2012
Fall 2013April 1, 2013
Program RequirementsThe student must meet all of the program requirements of the Urban Education Doctoral Program.
Urban Education Doctoral Seminars (minimum 9 credits)
- EDUC 701 - Urban Education Issues
- AD LDSP 801 - Urban Education: Administrative Leadership
- EDUC 901 - Advanced Seminar in Urban Education
- ED PSY 724 - Educational Statistical Methods II (prerequisite is ED PSY 624 and ED PSY )
- AD LDSP/CURRINS 729 - Qualitative Research and Field Studies in Education Settings
- At least nine credits of additional advanced level coursework (800 or above) from either a qualitative or quantitative track.
- Option A: 8 or more credits in a single department outside of the School of Education.
- Option B: 6 or more credits in each of two departments, with at least one department outside of the school.
Required Courses (15 Credits)
- AD LDSP 798 - Topics in Human Resource Development
- AD LDSP 827 - Adult and Organizational Learning
- AD LDSP 867 - Continuing Education in the Professions
- AD LDSP 897 - Philosophy and History of Adult Education
- AD LDSP 967 - Urban Adult Education
- AD LDSP 757 - Principles & Foundations of Adult Education
- AD LDSP 767 - Program Planning in Adult Education
- AD LDSP 777 - Leadership in Multicultural Organizations
- AD LDSP 787 - Administration of Adult Education Programs