SOIS Student Opportunity, Sept. 19-22, 2013
SOIS and the Wisconsin Center for the Book are collaborating in an opportunity for up to 20 students to experience the National Book Festival, sponsored by the Center for the Book at the Library of Congress. The focus of the experience will be attendance at the National Book Festival (Sept. 21-22) on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.: http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/
SOIS will pay for 3 nights (double occupancy) in a hotel and 3 dinners and will coordinate activities on Friday, Sept. 20. Students will be responsible for their own transportation to Washington, D.C. It will be an especially convenient way for SOIS students in the eastern U.S. and Canada to meet fellow students and explore one of the largest literary/publishing events in the world. Students will be accompanied by Tom Walker, a SOIS faculty member and Director of the Wisconsin Center for the Book. Please contact him for more information: email@example.com.
The program is open to BSIST, MLIS, and Ph.D. students. To apply, submit a short essay of approximately 200 words that provides a brief summary of your degree progress and career aspirations, as well as a statement about some of the highlights of the experience you would most hope to benefit from. Students will be expected to participate in all events and to write short reflections of their experience. Preference will be given to students with career interests in libraries, writing, the publishing industry, and literacy education.
Please send it to Walker (e-mail above; subject line = YOURLASTNAME LOC-NBF) by September 3, 2013. The turnaround for applications will be quick so that participants may arrange for transportation.The proposed schedule (details to be finalized):
Thursday, September 19
- Arrival, orientation, and dinner
Friday, September 20
- Tour of the Library of Congress (hosted by John Cole, the Director of the Center for the Book of the Library of Congress)
- Tour of the Folger Shakespeare Library
- Discussion sessions with authors, illustrators, and publishers
- Reception for the State Affiliate Programs of the Center for the Book at the Library of Congress
Saturday, September 21
- Visit exhibits, listen to and meet authors, poets, and illustrators at the National Book Festival on the Mall Mall
- Some students will help staff the Wisconsin Center for the Book exhibit in the Pavilion of the States
Sunday, September 22
- Visit exhibits, listen to and meet authors, poets, and illustrators at the Festival
- Depart, D.C.