M.L.I.S., Information Organization Concentration, UW-Milwaukee, 2010
B.A., Library and Information Science, School Media Specialist Certification, Kyung Pook National University, 2006
Children's cognitive development
Courses Taught/Instructional Experience
Instructor, L&I SCI 230 Knowledge Organization, Spring 2013
Teaching Assistant, L&I SCI 714 Metadata, Fall 2012
Teaching Assistant, L&I SCI 511 Information Organization (Online & Onsite), Fall 2012
Teaching Assistant, L&I SCI 440 Information Architecture III, 2008-2010
- Beak, J. (2012). Children’s perceptual cognitive factors in book selection and metadata schema: Pilot study. Proceeding of the American Society of Information Science and Technology, 49(10), 1–10.
- Beak, J., & Smiraglia, Richard P. (in press). With a focused intent: Evolution of DCMI as a research community. DC-2013, Link to future, International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Olson, H. A., Beak, J., & Choi, I. (in press). The natural is artificial: Legacy of the scientia scientiarum. Hermès (Translated in French).
- Beak, J., Glover, J., Martínez-Ávila, D., & Milani, S. (2013). International comparative domain analysis in knowledge organization research topics in four countries - Brazil, South Korea, Spain and United States. Proceeding of 4th North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Beak, J., Glover, J., Martínez-Ávila, D., & Milani, S. (2013). International comparative study analyzing knowledge organization research topics in four countries - Brazil, South Korea, Spain and United States. Proceeding of the iConference, Forth Worth, Texas.
- Beak, J. & Olson, H. A. (2011). Analysis of metadata schemas for children’s libraries, In Proceedings of North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization, 3, 1-12.
- Beak, J. & Olson, H. A. (2011). Comparison of metadata schemas: AACR2+ vs. ICDL’s metadata schema. Proceedings from 77th IFLA conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Beak, J. (2011). Do tags really provide more semantic concepts than LCSH does? In Proceedings of the 2011 Great Lakes Connections Conference, 2-3.
- Margaret, E. I. K, Buchel, B., Beak, J., Choi, I., & Rasmussen, D. (2013). User motivations for contributing tags and local knowledge to the Library of Congress Flickr collection. CAIS 41th Annual Conference, Victoria, British Columbia
- Margaret, E. I. K., & Beak, J. (2012). Examining studies comparing tags and controlled vocabularies. Poster presented at the CAIS 40th Annual Conference, Waterloo, Ontario.
American Society for Information Science & Technology
Dr. Richard P. Smiraglia
Dr. Hope A. Olson