Digital Libraries | Certificate of Advanced Study
The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Digital Libraries is designed to help working professionals update their knowledge and develop specialty relating to the acquisition, organization and maintenance of digital content, virtual collections and services. It will enable students to either alter the direction of a career path or to enrich, update, and strengthen their skills and their knowledge of their field. The Certificate can be completed both online and on-site, and the Admission Requirements page can help walk you through the admissions process.
About the Program
The CAS candidate will complete 15 credits of course work, planned in conjunction with his or her advisor, and approved by the Dean of the School of Information Studies as an individually designed program suited for the needs and professional objectives of the student.
- The certificate will be awarded upon completion of 15 credits in approved courses with an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0).
- A minimum of 12 credits must be taken in the School of Information Studies.
- Up to 3 credits may be taken in another school or department of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- No thesis is required, but students may obtain up to 3 credits in independent research which is included as a part of the total approved program.
- The program must be completed within a period of 3 years from first enrollment.
For admission information, please visit the Digital Libraries Admission Requirements page.
INFOST 682 - Digital Libraries. 3 cr.
INFOST - Metadata: 3 cr.
INFOST 739 - Digital Information Services. 3 cr.
INFOST 685 - E-Publishing & Web Design. 3. cr.
INFOST 691 - Video Storage, Retrieval, and Preservation. 3.cr.
INFOST 716 - Indexing and Abstracting 3 cr.
INFOST 717 - Information Architecture and Knowledge Organization 3 cr.
INFOST 774 - Online Information Retrieval 3 cr.
INFOST 780 - XML for Libraries. 3 cr.
INFOST 783 - Information Storage and Retrieval. 3 cr.
INFOST 786 - Multimedia. 3 cr.
INFOST 789 - Electronic Networking and Information Services. 3 cr.
INFOST 862 - Legal Issues for Library and Information Services. 3 cr.
INFOST 990 - Fieldwork in Library and Information Science. 3 cr.
INFOST 999 - Independent Research. 3 cr.
Additional details available here: