Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS)
Digital Libraries - Program Requirements
The CAS candidate will complete 15 credits of course work, planned in conjunction with his or her advisor, and approved by the Dean of the School of Information Studies as an individually designed program suited for the needs and professional objectives of the student.
- The certificate will be awarded upon completion of 15 credits in approved courses with an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0).
- A minimum of 12 credits must be taken in the School of Information Studies.
- Up to 3 credits may be taken in another school or department of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- A maximum of three graduate credits may be transferred from another accredited university provided the courses are relevant to the candidate's professional objectives and are included as part of the total approved program.
- No thesis is required, but students may obtain up to 3 credits in independent research which is included as a part of the total approved program.
- Those who have completed appropriate coursework as part of the UWM MLIS degree must complete at least 9 additional credits to earn the certificate.
- The program must be completed within a period of 3 years from first enrollment.
Recommended Digital Libraries Curriculum
L&I Sci 682 - Digital Libraries. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 714 - Metadata: 3 cr.
L&I Sci 739 - Digital Information Services. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 685 - E-Publishing & Web Design. 3. cr.
L&I Sci 691 - Video Storage, Retrieval, and Preservation. 3.cr.
L&I Sci 716 - Indexing and Abstracting 3 cr.
L&I Sci 717 - Information Architecture and Knowledge Organization 3 cr.
L&I Sci 774 - Online Information Retrieval 3 cr.
L&I Sci 780 - XML for Libraries. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 783 - Information Storage and Retrieval. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 786 - Multimedia. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 789 - Electronic Networking and Information Services. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 862 - Legal Issues for Library and Information Services. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 990 - Fieldwork in Library and Information Science. 3 cr.
L&I Sci 999 - Independent Research. 3 cr.
For a complete list of course descriptions, please visit the Graduate School website: http://www.graduateschool.uwm.edu/students/prospective/areas-of-study/library-and-information-science/#courses