Instructions for Application for Department of Public Instruction Initial and first-time Professional Certification
For the 902 Library Media Specialist or 91 Library Media Supervisor license:
- Download the appropriate license application
- For the 902 Initial or 902 Professional with Stipulations (a first, 5-year library media license), you will use form PI-1602-IS
- To move from the 902 Initial to the renewable 902 Professional license, use from PI-1602-ADV, plus PI-1613 Employment Verification and PI-1612 which must be endorsed by UWM
- To move from 902 Professional with Stipulations to the renewable 902 Professional license, use form PI-1602-STP, plus PI-1613 Employment Verification and PI-1612 which must be endorsed by UWM
- For the 91 Library Supervisor license, use form PI-1602-AD, including PI-1613 Employment Verification.
- Complete all necessary application forms, attach check made payable to the DPI, and mail to:
UWM School of Information Studies
NWQ B 3489
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
Your Certification Program Plan and ePortfolio will be examined to assure you've met all requirements for certification. Your application will then be verified and forwarded to the UWM Certification Officer for official signature. The Certification Office will send your application and check on to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. The Certification office will send you a Verification of Program Completion form.
License renewal is handled directly by the Department of Public Instruction. Check that website for detailed instructions and forms.
The DPI is currently switching to an online license application system. This new online system will allow you to apply online and also permit UWM to verify program completion.
Please see this page for more information.
Information Request Form