Information Technology Concentration
The IT concentration offers specialized knowledge of information technologies that is essential to the field of library and information science. Emphasizing the use, implementation, management and evaluation of information technologies for a wide range of organizations. The IT concentration will prepare students to work in a diverse marketplace.
- Applications Developer
- Digital Library Programmer
- Search Engine Engineer
- Information Technology Librarian
- Web and Content Developer
- Integrated Lib. Sys. Manager
- Emerging Technologies Specialist
Questions?For questions, please contact
Dr. Maria Haigh
Coordinator of the IT Concentration
- Students must take 15 credits of coursework in Information Techonology as electives within the overall MLIS program.
- The student's concentration program must be approved by the MLIS Program Director.
Student's must also submit a Declaration of Intent Form (above) for approval.
- A minimum of "B" (3.00 grade points) is required in all SOIS courses applied toward the concentration.
- A maximum of 6 transfer credits from an institution other than UWM may count toward the concentration, subject to Graduate School and SOIS transfer policies and procedures. UWM graduate coursework taken prior to admission to the current degree program is subject to standard transfer limits. Any transfer credits applied toward a concentration are part of the total transfer limit for that degree.
- A student may not earn a concentration and a certificate based on identical coursework.
Students must take 15 credits, which is typically five courses, from the following list.
If you would like other courses or field placements to be considered for credit toward this concentration, please contact the MLIS Program Director.
- 582 Introduction to Data Science
- 583 Survey of Information Security
- 584 Survey of Web and Mobile Content Development
- 682 Digital Libraries
- 675 Information Technology and Organizations
- 685 Electronic Publishing and Web Design
- 714 Metadata
- 717 Information Architecture
- 774 Online Information Retrieval
- 780 XML for Libraries
- 783 Information Storage and Retrieval
- 785 Database Management Systems for Information Professionals
- 786 Multimedia
- 787 Library Automation
- 788 Information Systems: Analysis and Design
- 789 Electronic Networking and Information Services
- 691 Special Topics in Information Science (with appropriate subtitle)
- 891 Advanced Topics in Library and Information Science (with appropriate subtitle)
Other Graduate Degree Concentrations/Specializations
Archival Studies Concentration (transcript designated)
Information Organization Concentration (transcript designated)
Information Technology Concentration (transcript designated)
Public Library Concentration (transcript designated)
Public Libraries - Children/Adult Services
Information Law, Policy & Ethics