SOIS Information Technology Department
The mission of the School of Information Studies Information Technology Department is to provide the SOIS faculty, staff, and students with needed IT services to further support research and the student education experience.
Goals & Objectives
- To provide SOIS with innovative and inclusive forward thinking to improve the broader mission of our school.
- To provide faculty with (i) desktop support, (ii) applicable technology training, and (iii) secure and reliable technology solutions for research and instructional use
- To provide students with the needed communications platforms and IT and support the distribution of knowledge in the classroom and in an online environment to successfully complete their academic career
UWM UITS Current System Status
- Info Security Alert: emails Containing .zip or .exe attachments Friday, October 11, 2013
- Given the severity of a current malicious email virus attack, at 5 p.m. today, Friday, Oct. 11, .zip, .odt and .exe file attachments intended for delivery to your pantherLINK email account will be removed. This includes email sent from non-pantherLINK accounts OR from pantherLISTs. If a .zip or .exe file attachment has been removed, the pantherLINK account holder will see the following modifications to the email: Subject Line Modification: **Info Security Alert: Attachment(s) Removed ** (followed by ORIGINAL SUBJECT) At end of email the following text will be inserted for each attachment removed: Info Security Alert: A .zip and/or .exe file attachment was removed from this email message. If you have questions, contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040 or toll-free 414-877-3459. For more information, visit technology.uwm.edu and click on the Email Virus Alert headline, or contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040; toll-free at 877-381-3459 or use the online form at GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.
- Scheduled Maintenance: pantherLINK Account Migration Friday, November 1, 2013
- Starting on Friday, November 1, 2013, the pantherLINK Support team will begin migrating accounts from the existing pantherLINK mailbox servers to new pantherLINK servers. This migration will improve performance and reliability for all account holders. Once the migration starts, account holders may experience some additional slow response time as accounts are migrated. As the migration continues, response times will improve due to fewer accounts on the servers. During the migration, it is possible for an account holder to receive a message ÂThis account is in maintenance modeÂ. If this message is received, please wait a few minutes before retrying. The migration of each account can take as little time as a minute and go up to 30 minutes for large accounts. For issues and concerns, please contact the UWM Help Desk at 414 229-4040 or use the web form at http://GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.
- Emergency Maintenance: UWM Network Core Maintenance (12/08/2013 06:00 AM to 12/12/2013 7:00 AM)
- From 6-7 a.m., Sunday, Dec. 8 through Thursday, Dec. 13, maintenance will be done on equipment supporting UWM's wired and wireless networks. No interruption to wired or wireless connections is anticipated and there will be connectivity on, to and from the UWM network and the Internet during the maintenance. For issues and concerns, please contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040 or use the web form at: GetTechHelp.uwm.edu
- Scheduled Maintenance: Patching of Windows Active Directory Domain Controllers (Thurs, December 12th, 2013 03:00 AM to 06:00 AM)
- On Thursday, December 12 from 3-6 a.m., the campus Active Directory service will be undergoing maintenance while patches are applied to the servers' operating system. The authentication service for ad.uwm.edu will be unaffected during this timeframe. This maintenance is being performed as part of normal operating system best practices intended to ensure service integrity. For issues or concerns, contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040, toll-free at 877-891-3459 or use the online form at GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.
- Unscheduled Outage: uFiles and Some Enterprise Services Thursday December 12, 2013 from 6:10 AM until 7:45 AM
- On Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 6:10 am, some scheduled maintenance affected access to services within the Data Center. The services included pantherLINK and uFiles. The access to enterprise services was restored by 6:20 am except for uFiles. Technical staff worked to resolve the access issues to uFiles. Access was restored by 7:45 am. For issues and concerns contact the UWM Help Desk at 414 229-4040 or use the web form found at GetTechHelp.uwm.edu
- Scheduled Maintenance: UWM Telecom Service (12/12/2013 2:00 pm to 12/12/2013 3:30 pm)
- On Thursday, Dec 12, from 2-3:30 p.m., technical staff will be performing maintenance on the database that support UWM Telecom Billing Service. The maintenance involves performing routine database server software updates intended to ensure the continued security and stability of the service. During the maintenance period, the UWM Telecom Billing Service will be unavailable. For issues or concerns, contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040, toll-free at 877-891-3459 or use the online form at GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.
- Tech Timeout (12/13/13 12:01 AM - 12/27/13 11:59 PM)
- The Tech Timeout period for the 2013 end-of-fall semester begins at 12:01 a.m., Friday, Dec. 13 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 27. During this timeframe, University Information Technology Services (UITS) will not make changes that affect production-level services, functions or activities. Exceptions to the policy include situations that require maintaining the stability or security of services. The purpose is to ensure the stability of services for the UWM community during the start-of-semester activities. If you have questions, please contact the UWM Help Desk, 414-229-4040; toll-free at 414-381-3459 or online at GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.
- Scheduled Maintenance: UWM Digital Archive (12/17/2013 05:00 PM to 12/17/2013 7:30 PM)
- On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 from 5-7:30 p.m., Photo Archive services will be unavailable during routine patching of the database server. During the maintenance, there will be no access to the Photo databases or the UWM Photo Archive at PhotoArchive.uwm.edu. For issues or concerns, please contact the Help Desk at 414-229-4040, toll-free at 877-381-3459 or use the web form found at http://gettechhelp.uwm.edu.
- Scheduled Maintenance: Network Maintenance in Golda Meir Library - East Wing (Sat, Jan 11, 2014 07:00 AM to 12:00 PM) (01/11/2014 07:00 AM to 01/11/2014 12:00 PM)
- A network outage is scheduled for the Golda Meir Library - East Wing (GML-East) building beginning at 7 a.m. on Jan. 11, 2014 and anticipated to end no later than Noon the same day. This network outage will allow maintenance on the network hardware. This outage will affect all data connections in the building; data communication will be interrupted during this outage. This includes access to the Internet and all-Web-based UWM services via the wired network and the UWM WiFi wireless network. Telephone service will not be interrupted. This maintenance is being done to replace equipment that has reached its end-of-life and can no longer be supported. The replacement equipment will help ensure service stability and continued service support. For issues and concerns, please contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040 or use the web form at: GetTechHelp.uwm.edu