- SSC Home
- Contact Us
- First Year Student Success
- Tips for Success
- Event Calendar
- Learning Communities
- Summer Bridge Programs
- Common Reading Experience
- New Student Orientation
- Orientation Schedules
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Orientation Leaders
- Academic Advising
- Advising FAQs
- New Student Checklist
- Transfer / Adult Student Success
- Outstanding Nontraditional Students
- UWM Pride
- Transfer & Adult Student Orientation
- Success Checklist
- Spotlighted Offices for Adult & Transfer Students
- Request a Student Success Advocate
- Campus Information
- Cultural/ Inclusion
- Getting Involved in Student Life
- Health and Wellness
- Legal & Safety
- On-Campus/Off-Campus Housing
- Professional Development/ Employment
- Relationship/ Family Concerns
- University 101 Course Offerings
- Student Resouces
- Personal Development
- Academic Development
- Faculty / Staff
- Start a Learning Community
- Access to Success Assesment
- Learning Outcomes
- Fall Welcome Information
- Tips For Parents
- Panther Families
- Parent/Family Orientation
- Parent Guide
- Meet the Mentors
- Make an Appointment
- Professional Staff Bios
- Becoming a Mentor/Orientation Leader
- UWM Pride
- Prioritize Academic Success
- Reach Out
- Involve Yourself
- Develop A Plan
- Explore Milwaukee And Beyond
Frequently Asked Questions
What is New Student Orientation? New Student Orientation is a two day program packed with information about UWM. At orientation new students will meet other students, learn about campus resources and student life, meet with advisors and register for classes. Current UWM students will guide new students through the days. All New Freshman are required to attend this program in its entirety.
How do I sign up for New Student Orientation? You will be invited to sign up for New Student Orientation online 1-2 business days after you have completed the following steps:
- Take Placement Tests
- Pay $100 toward your $235 New Freshmen Fee.
- Submit the University Housing Contract and deposit OR Exemption Form (may be completed before or after taking the Placement Tests)
- Pay the $100 University Housing Contract Deposit (if completed a University Housing Contract)
When will I get my Placement Tests results? Results will be provided at New Student Orientation. Advisors will help students select the appropriate courses.
How and when will I register for classes? You will register for classes during your New Student Orientation program. Academic advisors will provide program information, assist with course registration on PAWS and be available to answer your questions.
If I have a question concerning the University Housing Contract or Exemption form, who should I contact? Visit the University Housing website for more information! If you can’t find what you’re looking for, contact University Housing by calling 414-229-4065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why can’t I see the $100 charge toward my New Freshman Fee and/or the $100 Housing Contract Deposit on my PAWS account? The New Freshman Fee will be added to your account shortly after you have been admitted to UWM. The Housing Contract Deposit will be added to your account 3-5 days after submitting your contract. Contact the New Student Orientation Office regarding the New Freshman Fee at 414-229-5842 or email@example.com or University Housing regarding the Housing Contract Deposit at 414-229-4065 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
How can I pay my $100 University Housing Contract Deposit and/or $100 toward my New Freshman Fee? Fees can be paid via the following methods:
- In person at the UWM Bursar Office, Mitchell Hall Room 285 with cash, check or debit card
- Send a check in the mail to P.O. Box 500, Milwaukee WI 53201-0500. Be sure the student’s name and campus ID number is in the memo line of the check.
- Online via PAWS.uwm.edu with Mastercard, American Express, or Webcheck.
I think I may be eligible to defer my NSO fees because I am eligible for veterans’ benefits. How do I find that out? Individuals who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33 benefits) can defer their New Freshman Fee to be taken out of their VA Benefits. Please contact the Military Education Benefits Office at 414-229-6627.
What if I can’t pay the $235 New Freshman Fee and/or $50 of the $100 University Housing Contract Fee ($50 of this fee is non-refundable and must be paid out of pocket)? You are eligible to use your financial aid to cover these fees if you filed FAFSA and received the Pell Grant as part of your financial aid award according to your FAFSA. To apply to defer one or both of these fees, please contact the New Student Orientation Office at 414-229-5842 or email@example.com You will be required to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss the future costs of college before a deferment is granted.
I paid my fee(s) but I am unable to register for orientation. What should I do? Your payment takes approximately 1-2 business days to process. Check back to the registration site 48 hours after you pay.
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- If you have not yet registered for a New Student Orientation Program: When registering for an orientation program at nsorientation.uwm.edu you have the option to change your major by selecting the new major. Not all majors are present at every Orientation. You may be contacted by the NSO Office to switch your date.
- If you have already registered for a New Student Orientation Program: You need to complete a Major Change Request Form.
- If you have already attended a New Student Orientation Program and signed up for classes: You need to speak to your Academic Advisor.
- If you want to change your major on the day of their orientation program: Students cannot change their major to Architecture, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Nursing on the day of their program. Other requests may be granted.
Do I have to attend? All first year students who are applying to UWM for the Summer or Fall must attend an overnight orientation program. Contact the New Student Orientation Office with questions 414-229-5842 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do parents and family members need to attend New Student Orientation?Families and guests are welcome to attend but are not required. Families and guests will be separate from students for the majority of orientation as we have a separate Family & Guest Orientation program.
I decided that I will not be attending UWM. Can I get my fees refunded? New Freshman Fee Refunds: Refunds will be granted to students who formally withdraw from the university by submitting a Cancel Application Request Form (http://www4.uwm.edu/admission/upload/AppCancel.pdf) by August 15 and did not register for a New Student Orientation program at any point. If you registered for an NSO program and canceled at least 10 business days before your scheduled date, you may be eligible for a refund.
University Housing Contract Fee Refunds: Full or partial refunds are granted based on the date the Termination Form – Residence Halls (http://www4.uwm.edu/housing/policies/forms.cfm) is completed. Refer to the University Housing Contract Guide Book for more information or contact 414-229-4065 or email@example.com