Transfer/Adult Student Success

Here in the Student Success Center there are Peer Mentors ready to help new transfer students and adult students adjust to UW-Milwaukee. They are one of the many guides to various departments and resources available on campus, and their goal is to ensure your experience at UWM is successful. To begin making your transition successful, use the Transfer Student Checklist (below) and like us on Facebook

Transfer Student Checklist- Click Here!

Admission to UWM:Admission is required before you can register for classes. Application deadlines are typically July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. If you have not been admitted, call the undergraduate admission office at (414) 229-2222. If you are having trouble logging in to your UWM online accounts, contact the Help Desk at (414) 229-4040 or

Pay New Transfer Confirmation Deposit: Access PAWS to pay the $150 new transfer confirmation deposit

Email: All official UWM communication is sent to your UWM email.
 Watch the Office 365 tutorial here

Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs: or
File your FAFSA (March 1 is the Priority Filing Date)

Meet with your
Advisor: Log on to your PAWS account to identify your academic advisor. It’s important to meet with your advisor every semester to review program requirements and seek advice on course selection.

Placement Testing: (If applicable) You can schedule a placement test time on-line. If you are unsure if you need to complete placement testing, contact your advisor.

Register for classes: 
Use the on-line PAWS system to register and make changes to your schedule. Visit the Schedule of Classes for important dates, deadlines, tuition information, and course offerings.

Pay tuition: Payments can be made at the Bursar’s Office in Mitchell Hall Room 285. Installment Payment Plan information is available at Mitchell Hall Room 295 or (414) 229-4915. If full tuition/fee or a minimum of $200 is not paid before classes begin, your classes will be cancelled and you will need to re-register during the late registration period.

Register for Transfer & Adult Student Orientation:
Selection your orientation program date at Learn about programs and services that will help you succeed at UWM. You will meet representatives from your school or college and take care of getting your ID, bus pass, buying books, and other items.

Get ID card: ID cards are made in Mellencamp Hall Room 274, (414) 229-3800. They are available for any time after you pay your new transfer or new freshman fee and are used to access computer labs, the library, obtain your U-Pass and other services.

Housing Options
Check out on-campus housing options
Check out off-campus housing options

Buy your books. The UWM Bookstore is located in the Union on the 1st Floor East, (414) 229-4201. The online bookstore can help you find and/or order books you need for your schedule. Books are available for pick-up a week before classes begin.

Pick-up bus pass and/or find out about parking options:   Registered students are entitled to a Milwaukee County Bus Pass (U-Pass). U-Pass is available for pick-up a week before the beginning of each semester at the Parking and Transit Office in Union Room G25. Parking is limited on-campus so many students choose to park at UWM’s off-campus parking lots and take a free shuttle.

Contact the Career Planning and Resource Center:
Located in Mellencamp 128 they can assist you throughout your college career with researching majors, career planning, internships, workshops and more.

Campus Resources: Learn about the Student Success Center, Panther Academic Support Services (Tutoring), Accessibility Resource Center, Student Involvement, Children’s Center, Life Impact for Student Parents, and the Military and Veteran Resource Center.