The following applies to all email to professionals (advisors, instructors and all UWM staff) as well as those professionals in the greater community. Do what you want with your friends. Remember, there is a good change you will be asking these people for a professional reference sometime down the road, so make your best impression.
* Use a greeting like “Hello, Dear, Greetings and Mr. /Ms, Dr., Professor and their name.
*Grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure are important.
* Always spell check before you send.
* Always include your full name. Adding a sig file to your email program makes this automatic.
* When replying include the original message that was sent to you.
* If you have any questions related to the appropriate use of email, talk with your advisor.
Remember, this is part of your educational and professional development at UWM.