The mission of the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee School of Information Studies Student Organizations are to uphold the Mission, Goals, and Objectives of the School of Information Studies. The Student Organizations strive to support the extension and enhancement of quality information services and the promotion of information and technological literacy to a diverse society acting as a communicator and supporter between the School of Information Studies and the onsite and online student body.
Goals and Objectives
- to promote and encourage student participation within the School of Information Studies;
- to provide student representation on faculty policy-making committees, extending an understanding of the students’ expectations and needs;
- to function as a problem-solving forum and agent of change within the School of Information Studies’ community;
- to sponsor activities and other events that enhance the formal classroom experience and promote scholarly achievement;
- to provide a local forum for the exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues and opportunities in the profession;
- to increase awareness about national issues within the profession;
- to facilitate communication and interaction with the professional community;
- to help students develop skills and relationships that will enable students to have a creative impact on the profession;
- to foster a sense of professional responsibility in members and promote a high ethical standard for all information professionals;
- to participate in service projects providing outreach which benefit UWM and the underserved community;
- to promote and facilitate a spirit of community among students, faculty and alumni.