The GEAR UP program is a multi-year commitment to the students of Multiplex North, Northwest, Custer, Pulaski and South Division High Schools. Starting with 6th and 7th grade in 2005-06, we will follow those students through high school graduation and provide them with academic support and advising that will better prepare them for high school and ultimately college. GEAR UP also strives to expose students and their families to college campuses and increase their knowledge of post-secondary options, available financial aid and scholarships, high school courses needed to enter college and other entrance requirements. In addition, GEAR UP strives to facilitate target school teachers' participation in professional development programs.
The GEAR UP Objectives
- Help students increase their reading scores
- Help students increase their performance in math
- Increase parental knowledge of college entrance requirements, college costs and the availability of financial aid.
- Provide professional development to the staff of GEAR UP schools
- Increase student knowledge of college entrance requirements, college costs and the availability of financial aid.
GEAR UP is a federally funded program.