Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Policy for ARC
Standard Animal Rooms:
- Research personnel handling animals:
Lab coat or disposable gown should be worn over street clothes—
Note: lab coats should be laundered regularly separately from street clothing and should not be kept in offices or eating areas since there will be allergen-producing dander on them. (Lab coats should be kept separate from street clothes.)
- Gloves are recommended for handling rodents.
- Surgical masks are recommended.
- Personnel entering the animal facility briefly, not handling animals:
Recommend lab coat or disposable gown.
- Recommend surgical mask.
Please Review: Video Clip of Exiting Quarantine Room
To Exit a Quarantine Room:
- Remove personal protective equipment inside the room and dispose in the garbage can inside of the room.
- First remove gown by turning inside out and dispose of in the garbage
- Then remove gloves, removing inside out and dispose of in the garbage.
- Then remove face mask and bonnet and dispose of in the garbage.
- Last you will remove your booties as you step out of the room. Upon removing the first bootie, step out into the hallway with your uncovered foot. Stand in the hallway to remove the second bootie. Dispose of the booties in the garbage can inside the room.
Please Review: Video Clip of Entering a Barrier or Transgenic Room (Video Temporarily Unavailable)
To Enter a Barrier or Transgenic Room:
|Please Review: Video Clip of Exiting a Barrier or Transgenic Room
To Exit a Barrier or Transgenic Room:
Individuals That Have Been in Non-UWM Animal Facilities Prior to Entering ARC Facilities:
- It is recommended that they do not enter ARC animal rooms the same day.
- If the individual must enter the UWM facilities the same day, it is recommended that they not wear any clothing worn in the other facility into ARC facilities, including shoes, etc. The individual may wear the same shoes if booties were worn over shoes at the other facility at all times.
- If the individual must wear the same clothing and they did not wear PPE (lab coat, booties, etc.) at the other institution, they should gown, glove, wear a bonnet and shoe covering prior to entering the UWM ARC facilities.