- General Information
- Guidelines and Procedures
- Past Announcements
- Related Links
- Data Security (UITS)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- For Researchers
- Submitting a Study
- Deadlines and Meeting Dates
- Forms and Templates
- Human Subjects Research Training
- IRBManager (Web Submissions)
- For IRB Members
- Guides and Links
- IRB Membership Roster
- Contact Us
Human Subjects Research Training
The CITI Human Subjects Research Training provides information on the rules, regulations, and ethical principles governing research involving human subjects and is required for all Principal Investigators, Student Principal Investigators, and strongly recommended for research personnel interacting (consenting, recruiting, data collecting, etc.) with research participants.
This tutorial does not DOES NOT provide training on the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and its applications to human subjects research. Questions regarding the HIPAA Training Program should be directed to the Office of Legal Affairs.
As part of the effort to guarantee that all research on campus provides protection to human subjects, UWM keeps records of all personnel who have completed human subjects training and can be view on the following pdf (dated 11/07/2013). In addition, you may need to demonstrate to a funding agency or an IRB that you have completed this training. Therefore, please retain a copy of the certification when you complete the tutorial.
Please note: The UWM IRB has recently changed its training tutorial to a more detailed program. The estimated completion time is 2-3 hours. If you are not the Principal Investigator (PI) or Student Principal Investigator (SPI) and are interested in a more basic human subjects training tutorial for students or research staff, please consider using the OHRP'S human subjects research training tutorial or NIH's human subjects research training tutorial.
Instructions for completing CITI Human Subjects Training:
- Visit the training website: www.citiprogram.org
- If you are already registered with a different institution or for the Graduate School's Effort Reporting requirement, you do not need to create a new account. Questions about logging in may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- If you are not registered, you will need to create an account. Click on the "Register" box on the right side of the screen to begin this process. Find "University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee" under "Participating Institutions." Create a user name and password. IMPORTANT!! Passwords are visible to CITI Administrators, please create your password with this in mind.
- Once logged in, you will be prompted to answer whether you are taking the Graduate School's Effort Reporting Training or the IRB Human Subjects Training. Select the IRB Training and then choose from one of the four courses (Biomedical, Social-Behavioral, Biomedical & Social-Behavioral, and IRB Members). Select the course that best represents the type of research you plan to conduct.
- A score of 80% or better in each module is required to receive your certificate. You can return to any module which you did not score at least 80%, and review and retake the test.
- You do not have to complete the training in one sitting. Progress is saved.
- Print or save a copy of your certification. You may also log back in to view your certification.
- Recertification is currently not required, however, you will receive an email from CITI to recomplete your certification every three years.
Acknowledgement: We would like to thank the Graduate School for allowing the IRB to utilize the CITI training program.